New Year’s Resolutions for the Whole Year

It’s that time of year again!  With the holiday season (and the gallons of eggnog, with cookies and pie) past us, it’s that time of year when millions of people vow to get healthier with their New Year’s resolutions.  With drinking less alcohol, eating healthier, getting fit, and losing weight all on the top ten list of resolutions, why is it that so many people fail to reach their goals?  Here are some tips to help you be successful in reaching your goals, no matter what they are.

Step 1: Find your Motivation

Have you ever been really excited to make a drastic change in your life, but before you know it you’ve completely lost your drive to succeed?  You were most likely inspired rather than motivated.  True motivation, from a behavioural change perspective, must be internal, whereas inspiration is the short-term external drive that often leads to plans fizzling out part way through. 

So what makes us lose motivation?  All humans are subject to socio-biological factors that affect behaviour, such as the pleasure principle, which leads us to seek things that please us now, instead of waiting for long-term gains.  To overcome these factors and build motivation, look for positive reinforcements instead of negative ones.  For instance, if you just booked your ticket to Cancun for reading break and the idea of donning a bathing suit along with your extra holiday weight makes your stomach twist with nervousness, think about how great you will feel once you’ve lost the weight, and focus on that positive image instead of the discomfort you would feel putting on the suit now.

Step 2: Determine your Readiness for Change

Many people who fail to succeed in their goals do so because they are not ready to make the change.  In order to determine your readiness for change, ask yourself the following four questions:

1. Is the behaviour (or lack of it) a problem for you?
  2. Does the behaviour (or lack of it) cause you any distress?
  3. Are you interested in changing your behaviour?
  4. Are you ready to do something to change your behaviour now?

If you honestly answer yes to all of these questions, then you are likely ready to make the change.  If you still have some ambivalence however, think about why you wanted to make the change in the first place.  Do some soul-searching and see if you can find an internal motivation that will boost your desire to succeed.

Step 3: Make the Change

Once you’re ready to make the change, start small!  As tempting as it might be to jump in with two feet, it is likely not realistic.  Instead, create smaller goals that will provide you with short-term wins, allowing you to build your self-efficacy.  The more of these small goals that you accomplish, the more confidence you will have in yourself that you can reach your end goal.  For example, instead of concentrating on losing your holiday weight, try starting by reducing the amount of convenience food you eat, and exercising a couple of times per week. Once you’ve accomplished those goals, you can move onto bigger goals, such as increasing the frequency of your workouts and eating more healthy home-cooked meals.  Only build on goals once you are comfortable with your current ones, and keep the number of tasks at hand to a maximum of three. If you get stuck, don’t give up!  Instead assess the situation and work on ways to overcome your barriers.

Lastly, involve your friends and family in your change.  Because eating is such a social activity, those around you can have a huge influence on how you fuel your body.  Surround yourself with people and places that will reduce temptations and you’ll be on your way to a healthier you—even after everyone else has given up on their resolutions!

For more information on healthy eating, and weight management check out the Your Health tab on the website www.dietitians.ca

Amanda Coulter

Year 3 Dietetics, UBC

Revitalize your Resolutions

Revitalize your Resolutions!

What comes to mind when you hear the phrase “New Year’s resolution”? Do you think of people saying they want to quit smoking, improve their diet, or exercise more? Do you think of people giving up their resolution before February 1st? Last year, Time.com posted a list of 10 of the most commonly broken New Year’s resolutions. Two of them were “lose weight and get fit” and “eat healthier and diet”. Why do New Year’s resolutions to get healthy often fail? Maybe it’s because they’re not SMART.

A SMART goal is specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, and timely. It should be something you are highly motivated to do and think will be easy to achieve. Success with one SMART goal can boost your confidence and lead you to tackle another, slightly more challenging SMART goal. “I will stop eating junk food” is not a SMART goal. “This week, I will snack on vegetable sticks instead of chips while I study” is a SMART goal. Here are more examples of SMART goals for healthy eating.

• I will drink water instead of buying pop or juice when I am thirsty this month. Tip: carry a reusable bottle with you and fill it at water fountains or sinks.
  • I will choose the vegetarian option at dinner once a week. Tip: the vegetarian option will often be higher in fibre and lower in saturated fat than the meat option.
  • I will eat vegetables or fruit at every meal this week. Tip: choose a variety of colourful vegetables and fruit, especially dark green and orange ones.
  • I will choose whole wheat or whole grain bread products at least once a day. Tip: “multi-grain” does not equal whole grain.
  • I will not buy food from a vending machine this week. Tip: purchase and carry around some healthy non-perishable snacks such as nuts, dried fruit, or low-sodium pretzels.

So now it’s up to you. Pick one of the ideas I’ve listed above or come up with a SMART goal of your own. Follow through with it, and then, once it has become part of your normal routine, add another. Step by step, small SMART goals can help you reach your larger goal. Here’s to a healthy New Year!

Katrina Goertzen

Year 4 Dietetics, UBC

Cruz, G., Tharoor, I., Silver, A., & Webley, K. (2012, Jan. 1.) Top Ten Commonly Broken New        Year’s Resolutions. Retrieved from http://www.time.com

The Holidays

As I sit here, drinking my hot pomegranate and trying my best to focus on my studying, I can’t help be excited (and distracted) by the holiday season quickly approaching.  This reminds me of a show I used to watch as a kid: The Weekenders.  The Weekenders was a cartoon about 4 friends, Tino, Lor, Carver, and Tish, and their weekend adventures together.  There was this episode that showed each character celebrating the holiday season in their respective ways:  Tish celebrated Hanukkah, Carver celebrated Kwanzaa, Lor celebrated Christmas, and Tino celebrated Winter Solstice.  I remember learning a bit about all these different celebrations and realizing how much more there was involved in this time of the year than I knew.  Here’s a brief summary of each celebration…

Hanukkah: Also known as the festival of lights, this 8-day celebration consists of a candle being lit each evening on a Menorah.  This holiday commemorates re-dedication of the holy Temple in Jerusalem. 

Kwanzaa: A week-long celebration (Dec 26-Jan 1) that honors African heritage, through a feast and gift-giving.It consists of seven core principles called the Nguzo Saba: Unity, self-determination, collective work and responsibility, cooperative economics, purpose, creativity, and faith.

Christmas: Perhaps the most celebrated across the globe, this holiday commemorates the birth of Jesus Christ for Christians.  It is also a holiday linked to Santa Clause, stockings, gift-giving, and candy canes.

Winter Solstice:  This is when the Sun is appearing at noon at its lowest altitude above the horizon.  Across the globe, there are many interpretations of the event, varying from culture to culture, but most Northern Hemisphere cultures hold a recognition of rebirth, involving festivals, gatherings, rituals or other celebrations around that time.

Whatever you are celebrating this season, whether it be one of these festivities described above or just being with loved ones, I wish you a happy, restful, and enjoyable holiday break. 

Happy Holiday,

Sef.

Sleep Time

Sleep Time

By: Caitlin Funk, Senior Advisor in Fairview Crescent

Mental wellness starts with you – your decisions, your promises. A good place to start improving your mental wellness is to make sure you get a good night sleep. You might think that there just aren’t enough hours in the day for that to happen. Without a good night’s rest, you run the risk of performing poorly on exams, feeling anxious or sad or worried, and lowering your immune response which leaves you prone to illness. On the other hand, getting enough quality sleep will improve your ability to remember and retain new information. Sleeping the whole night improves your ability to learn; reason enough for students to prioritize quality sleep! Nearly 30% of UBC undergraduates have reported that sleep difficulties interfered with their academic performance in a previous year. Its time to change that statistic: getting enough sleep is good for your brain! If you are having trouble sleeping because you can’t fit everything in, try checking how you manage your time.

You might want to:

• track (and re-evaluate) how you are actually spending your time
  • look carefully at your term and weekly schedules, to see where there are lulls and crunches
  • start studying strategically. (For help, check out the online resources from UBC Learning Commons.)

If you’re having trouble getting to sleep, reflect, and see what you can do, such as:

•  avoid caffeine, alcohol, and smoking
  • do not exercise within two hours of bedtime
  • stick to the same bedtime routine every night.