The Holidays

As I sit here, drinking my hot pomegranate and trying my best to focus on my studying, I can’t help be excited (and distracted) by the holiday season quickly approaching.  This reminds me of a show I used to watch as a kid: The Weekenders.  The Weekenders was a cartoon about 4 friends, Tino, Lor, Carver, and Tish, and their weekend adventures together.  There was this episode that showed each character celebrating the holiday season in their respective ways:  Tish celebrated Hanukkah, Carver celebrated Kwanzaa, Lor celebrated Christmas, and Tino celebrated Winter Solstice.  I remember learning a bit about all these different celebrations and realizing how much more there was involved in this time of the year than I knew.  Here’s a brief summary of each celebration…

Hanukkah: Also known as the festival of lights, this 8-day celebration consists of a candle being lit each evening on a Menorah.  This holiday commemorates re-dedication of the holy Temple in Jerusalem. 

Kwanzaa: A week-long celebration (Dec 26-Jan 1) that honors African heritage, through a feast and gift-giving.It consists of seven core principles called the Nguzo Saba: Unity, self-determination, collective work and responsibility, cooperative economics, purpose, creativity, and faith.

Christmas: Perhaps the most celebrated across the globe, this holiday commemorates the birth of Jesus Christ for Christians.  It is also a holiday linked to Santa Clause, stockings, gift-giving, and candy canes.

Winter Solstice:  This is when the Sun is appearing at noon at its lowest altitude above the horizon.  Across the globe, there are many interpretations of the event, varying from culture to culture, but most Northern Hemisphere cultures hold a recognition of rebirth, involving festivals, gatherings, rituals or other celebrations around that time.

Whatever you are celebrating this season, whether it be one of these festivities described above or just being with loved ones, I wish you a happy, restful, and enjoyable holiday break. 

Happy Holiday,

Sef.