5 Great Tips for Grocery Shopping

by Simran Cheema

Living in suite-style residence calls for grocery shopping. It is not only a daunting task but also very demanding when it comes to expenses. When shopping for groceries, one has to keep in mind about healthy food items that they SHOULD pick up, guilty pleasures that they WANT to pick up and the $$ in the pocket which will restrain them from picking everything up that is in the “SHOULD” and “WANT” list. So I am presenting to you a guide which comprises of just 5 points. But if followed, these 5 points will be very helpful in managing your budget and groceries.

1. Pick a timeline: It is very important that you decide as to for how long you are purchasing the groceries for at a given time. Some people like to purchase groceries for 2 weeks and some go for 1 month. This will give you an idea of how much food you should pick up and save you from the hassle of going to the store too often. Additionally, it helps to avoid buying either too much or too less food. If there is something left from the past weeks, make a note of that and avoid picking it up from the store when you go in the next time.
  2. Make a list: This sounds very boring but it is an essential element of efficient grocery shopping. A lot of people prefer to pick groceries as they see them at the store. Due to this, they tend to pick up more stuff than what they need. Having a list allows you to grab products you need and avoiding the unnecessary purchase of products you do not need. I prefer to have a small pad in my kitchen, preferably on my refrigerator door, and write items I need on it as soon as they come to my mind. This way, you will also not forget things that you absolutely need.
  3. Avoid guilty pleasures: Often unnecessary items make a bulk of our grocery shopping. Avoid such items by not including them on the grocery list. It gets very tempting to pick up chocolate bars or gum at the checkout. If you do look at them, start humming a tune in your mind or think about something important that you need to go home and do. This will help you get your mind off of these items. And trust me, IT REALLY WORKS!
  4. Choose a good store: As a student at UBC, we are very lucky to have some very good and cheap grocery stores around campus. I prefer No Frills personally because it is very close to campus (15 minutes of bus ride). The University Village as a produce store which is super cost effective. If you’re someone who liked to shop at Save-On Foods in the Wesbrook Village, then get their Save-On More card. It helps you gain points and also save money every time you buy something.
  5. Pile up items on sale: A lot of times you’ll see cans and other items on sale. It is a good idea to pile up those items for later times because the sale might not last for too long. These items do not expire for a really long time. Same applies to items like cleaning supplies, soap, etc. However, it is important to purchase only such items that are needed. Do not stock pile things that are on sale but not necessarily needed by you.

So next time you go for grocery shopping, make sure you follow the above mentioned points for an efficient and cost-effective grocery shopping.

Happy Grocery Shopping!!