12×12 Photo Marathon creates a snapshot of Vancouver

by Laura Kane ~ September 12th, 2010. Filed under: Downtown, Yaletown/ False Creek.

Inside Blenz café in Yaletown on a drizzly Sunday morning, dozens of photographers clutched Canon Powershot S90s and free lattes, waiting to hear the next theme of the second annual 12×12 Vancouver Photo Marathon. Finally, a volunteer pulled a slip of paper out of a top hat: “Expendable,” she said. “Expendable?” a participant said. “I need a dictionary!”

This was the fourth hour of the marathon, in which participants received a roll of film with 12 exposures, and over the course of 12 hours, were given 12 themes to be interpreted and photographed in sequence. Participants traveled all over Vancouver before returning to the café once an hour to hear the next theme. But because they only had 12 exposures, photographers had to think before they shot.

“Digital cameras have diminished the art of photography,” said Morten Rand-Hendriksen, creator of the event. “Professional photographers used to set up a shot for hours. They couldn’t just ‘spray and pray’, or take a bunch of shots and hope one turned out well.”

The participants all seemed to welcome the shift out of their comfort zone. Sherry Lu, a SFU molecular biology graduate, said she had never used film before. For the “expendable” theme, Lu collected disposable cotton balls smeared with neon make-up from Shoppers Drug Mart. The bright colours popped against the charcoal brick exteriors of Yaletown.

While most participants rushed around the city in the rain, at least one marathoner managed to stay dry. Kenny Louie, a software developer, only takes photos using Lego figurines as models. He sat at a wooden table, staring intently at his box of Batman and Indiana Jones figurines. Eventually, Louie decided to imitate the movie poster for The Expendables, crafting a Lego Sylvester Stallone and a pack of brawny henchmen.

Although the marathon had prizes, the atmosphere was uncompetitive. The café was packed with photographers chatting and collaborating. There was a constant stream of Twitter messages between them, as well as a frequently updated set of Flickr photos. Both of these sites were visible on a large touch-screen computer. A time-lapse camera attached to the ceiling would become a photo diary of the day.

“It’s all about building community,” said Cathy Browne, a first-time participant who is 90 per cent blind. “I’m here because of social media. We all are.” To Browne, photography is about “translating a point of view. My photographs show the world the way I see it. If they’re a little out of focus, well, that’s the way I see it.”

All the photographs taken at the event will be displayed at the Vancouver Photo Workshops gallery starting Oct. 16.

1 Response to 12×12 Photo Marathon creates a snapshot of Vancouver

1.   Claudia Goodine

I really enjoyed reading this Laura. I feel like I was there! What an interesting event. Sounds like a lot of fun. Maybe I will do it next year. I am curious to check out the photos that were taken.