A Brief Encounter with Rick­—a homeless man in Marpole

by Vinnie Yuen ~ September 12th, 2010. Filed under: Uncategorized.

Despite being a 30 minute drive from the Downtown Eastside, a visible homeless population roam about in Marpole amidst the ethnic restaurants, chain coffee shops, banks, and grocery stores on Granville Street between 60th and 70th Avenue.

On this cloudy Saturday afternoon, Rick Hofs sat against the brick wall of the Royal Bank of Canada branch on the corner of Granville Street and 70th Avenue.  He watched the passerbys as he smoked his cigarette.

Hofs spoke in a slow, calm manner as he told his story.  He exposed a set of brown teeth with large missing gaps.  Hofts is originally from Hope and came out to Vancouver to find employment a few years ago.  He worked as a carpenter, but could no longer work when he began having seizures.  He said has had numerous blood tests done, but he is not yet cured.  “I’ve had so many blood tests, I almost have no blood left in me!” Rick joked.

Hofs compared himself with other homeless people who sometimes come from Downtown.  He said that the “guys from Downtown” usually cause a “ruckus” and are often on drugs.  “I don’t do that,” Rick said with bloodshot eyes.

A group of homeless men chatting boisterously on benches in front of the Safeway parking lot.  Hofs said that they have been drinking for the past few hours.  He advised others, especially young women, not to go over there, as they will most likely be subject to their “verbal abuse”.  “You don’t deserve that,” Hofs said to this student journalist.

A woman sat in front of the Liquor Store entrance that shouted, “Spare change?”, whenever someone walked by.  Hofs told me that he likes to take on a more passive approach than this woman.  “I mean, I’m here. You know why I’m here,” he said.

When asked if he is able to make a living in the neighbourhood, Hofs shrugged and said, “I survive.”  He likes it here in Marpole, describing it as a real “community.”

A woman drops off a bag with oranges, apples, and a big bottle of V8 juice. When asked who the woman was, Hofs shrugged and said it was just someone in the neighbourhood.

Hofs said he regularly hangs out here, up against the north wall of this Royal Bank of Canada branch.