Swiper No Swiping!

This week on AdFreak, Sauza Tequila and Kraft Salad Dressing get into a little bit of a cafuffle. As the article (http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/did-kraft-swipe-sauza-tequilas-schtick-and-its-spokesman-148386) mentions, days before Sauza Tequila’s big 2013 ad reveal they saw their spokesmen acting in a very familiar manner for Kraft’s Zesty Salad Dressing.

If anyone’s unaware of the ever popular Sauza Tequila advertisement featuring “Make It With a Fireman,” just think back to when OldSpice came out with their first ads featuring Isaiah Mustafa (here I shamelessly plug in a picture of Mustafa). A little bit suggestive, a lotta bit half dressed, and hints of I-will-be-appearing-in-your-dreams-tonight. In his Kraft ad, male pin-up Anderson Davis (even his name is suggestive) talks suggestively to the camera as he prepares a salad… (here I shamelessly plug in a picture of Davis) 

which is really surprising considering he did the same thing for Sauza just with margaritas instead. So, did Kraft ‘swipe’ Sauza’s feature and what does this mean for their advertisements and subsequent sales?

To begin, it is very important to note that these two goods, respectively target very different segments to which they position themselves on opposite ends of the spectrum. Kraft, suggests a healthier lifestyle for individuals looking towards finding a particular zest (haha get it, Kraft Zesty Salad Dressing. No?) in their regular salads. The brand and product also suggest a more family-oriented lifestyle, and as such assume that their product will be purchased by the following individuals. Sauza on the other hand is looking for a young, energetic, vibrant and perhaps single individual simply looking towards enjoyment, fun, and perhaps even drunken debauchery. Through Davis, Sauza confirms that this is what their brand enforces (minus drunken debauchery) and aim to reenforce their market position. Through and through, I see no problem in airing the ads at the same time.

In his article, Tim Nudd mentions that neither company is particularly concerned with the similarity between the ads and I think I have to agree to that.