A Look Back

I really enjoyed working with my group this semester. I had only previously known one of my group members, so it was definitely cool to meet new people. Because the majority of us had never met each other before, it was definitely helpful to do the “skills evaluation” at the very beginning of the term to figure out what all of our strengths were.

My group chose Target as our company for the assignments. I’m glad that we made this decision as I’ve always been curious about Target—I wanted to learn more about the company’s marketing strategies before they made their expansion into Canada. Now that we have done all the research and analysis required for the assignments, it will be awesome to be able to see how Target is positioning its push into Canada and understand their reasoning behind it.

My favorite assignment was definitely the video assignment. Not only did it provide us clarity on Target’s four Ps, but it also was cool to get the chance to think critically and make recommendations on how Target should move forward. Even cooler is that since Target is moving in so close to us, we will be able to see whether or not our recommendations align with Target’s future decisions! As well, I was really grateful for the chance to improve my technical videography/graphic design skills for this project. I had always “planned” to sharpen my graphic design skills and learn the details behind videography but this project really pushed me to move forward with that. So, thanks Tamar!

Taking this Intro to Marketing course has definitely been a great experience. I understand now that marketing isn’t just “advertising” and requires much strategic thinking capabilities. Now, I can safely say that I am sure that I will pursue a marketing-related career.