Just another UBC Blogs site

King’s Electric Ethos

1. What are the major differences or similarities between the ethos of the creation story or stories you are familiar with and the story King tells in The Truth About Stories ?

In The Truth About Stories, Thomas King tells a story about the changing portrayal of Native Americans during the late 20th century. As he expresses, “one of the favourite narrative strategies was to create a single, heroic Indian” (33). King describes how all throughout North America, Australia, and New Zealand, he was met with confusion and prejudice towards his mixed race. On one hand, a certain romantic vision of Native Americans was “dying,” yet there was also a rejuvenated desire in “children who are determined to be seen as Indians” (45). King explores this dichotomy. He clearly states that there is room for all identities and that we should not seek that “single, heroic Indian.” King closes his chapter by telling the reader that he has taken many photographs of Native peoples, however, as his project comes to a close, the photographs don’t matter. In fact, King believes that “neither are the questions of identity” (60). Instead, “what’s important are the stories […] the stories I’ve told. Stories we make up to try to set the world straight (60).

There is no doubt that King employs ethos during his stories. He relays tales of racism and his personal journey to define what a Native person looks like. As he concludes, identity doesn’t matter, because stories are what truly create the world. Through this conclusion, King is speaking to his audience’s character, and depending on their moral compasses. His conclusion depends on the agreement of his audience that prejudice is horrible, which, of course, it is. For instance, King tells a tale of a coworker, Lee, in Australia who is blatantly racist towards all Australian Aboriginals. Also, King describes being rejected by his prom date that wouldn’t date him because he was “Mexican” (40). These tales are incredibly effective as they speak directly to the audience’s sense of right. Thus, the reader more passionately agrees with King’s concluding message that identity does not matter after hearing tales of prejudice against his identity.

Personally, I agree with King’s sentiment that stories are pertinent to the world. I think stories that I am familiar with rely less heavily on ethos. This is due, I think, to the fact that my stories are not as morally based; instead, the stories I am familiar with are more emotional. King’s stories on identity are more powerful once the audience experiences the prejudice and understand the moral consequences. The stories I am most familiar with, creation and otherwise, tend to rely much more heavily on pathos. For instance, growing up, my mother would take us to see Bard on the Beach. Romeo and Juliet was the first play we ever watched as a family. The play is dependent on the audience recognizing the immense emotion of all players. Furthermore, growing up my sister and I were always taught lessons by our parents that depended on emotions. For example, we were told to always share because otherwise our friends would be sad, and we would have hurt their feelings.

The difference between the stories King tells and the ones I am familiar with hints to a fundamental difference. As he explains, King has found the power in stories. He understands that stories can change the way someone is viewed, and can make highly positive change. I find this view so inspiring, and I hope that I can adopt this view and change the types of stories I tell.

“About Us | Bard on the Beach.” About Us | Bard on the Beach. N.p., n.d. Web. 09 Nov. 2016.

Finkel, Michael. “Australia’s Aboriginals.” Aboriginal Australians. National           Geographic, n.d. Web. 08 Nov. 2016.

King, Thomas. “You’re Not the Indian I Had in Mind.” The Truth About Stories: A Native Narrative. N.p.: House of Anansi, n.d. 31-60. Print.

« »