About me

Patio layout

Ever since we moved in to our condo in the Fall of 2005, I’ve tried my hand at container gardening. I live on the west coast of British Columbia… Richmond to be exact (zone 8b).  I’m experimenting with growing vegetables in our small space and hope to have something to harvest this year!

My patio is about 12′ x 8′, but only half of it is exposed to about 6 hours of direct sunshine through the summer. I’ve been fumbling along from year to year, learning more and more with each season.

Thanks to my trusty West Coast Seeds catalog I’ve been learning about the types of veggies that may work better in my conditions, and what veggies I can start earlier to make the most of our limited west coast growing season.

I have also been using Sea Soil as my main growing medium, as it is natural, organic compost made in BC! Most of my containers are wrapped at the base with copper mesh, which helps deter snails and slugs.

For me container gardening is a hobby more so than something I’m relying on to feed myself. Hopefully this journal will help me track my progress and learnings from this year!