Blog 5-BC Hydro’s 8 billion Site C Hydroelectric Megaproject

According to the article, the BC Hydro has planned on an 8 billion site C hydroelectric megaproject, which BC Hydro hopes to build a dam and 1,100-megawatt hydroelectric generating station on the Peace River in northeastern BC. However, the representatives of the BC First Nation chiefs highly encourage the government to reject this project due to several of reasons.

Supporting the hydroelectric megaproject will have a great impact on the First Nation’s homeland.

(1)Supporting the project will destroy First Nation’s farmland

(2)Supporting the project will cause a huge effect on fishing opportunities for the First Nation

(3)Supporting the project will use and occupy the area which belong to the First Nation people who use that area for ceremonies purposes

Personally speaking, before deciding whether to support or to reject the hydroelectric megaproject, I think the government should carefully consider both the benefits and the cost of the hydroelectric megaproject. I think that there isn’t a need to implementation the hydroelectric megaproject on the Peace River until this point. Also, since the Peace River is the homeland for many First Nation people, I think the government should show respect to them by talking and communicating with their representatives before destroying  their homeland.

Logo_stop

Image taken from here