Perec – Week8

Perec gave us “W or The Memory of Childhood” to share his illustrative vision of the Holocaust, both in a personal and figurative aspect. Throughout the book, we see the contrast of these two parallel stories, one being autobiographical and the other (seemingly) being on a  fictional (based on real events) premise. His autobiography emerges from his past which he based off of photographs as a kid and relatives testaments of this time. He often refers to not  remembering what it was like for him in the time of Nazi Germany because he was a young boy. Perec’s response to this trauma led him to block out this horrific time from his brain. The other is the contrasting fictional utopia of the island W, where luck is the only thing keeping you alive. He describes an intense torturous land that I assumed to resemble Nazi Germany concentration camps where the Olympics reside and the horrendous government ideals control its people. “Winners” are graced with food and basic necessities while “losers” progressed getting weaker and weaker as they were malnourished. This winner/loser act shows how unfair and aimless the killings of Nazi Germany were on people. Though, this is a link I assumed, we cannot know if this is fully what he wanted to be observed through the island of W.

I found the alternating stories to be a very interesting way of displaying the reality of his own personal experience and the reality of Nazi Germany in a birds eye persepective almost. Since W reflected more on the broad tragedies of WW2, the story of W is more of a general perspective on the entirety of Nazi Germany. I think he did this to contribute the trials and tribulations that others faced during this horrific time and bring their stories to the surface. This showed how many different people faced different traumas during the same time period. His autobiography connected into his own personal story, much of what he cannot remember as he was a child. This also may have been a coping strategy for him, as a child his brain actively tried to block out this horrific time in his life. Seeing this general perspective through the island W, and his own personal experience made readers adjust from personal to impersonal analysis. 

Personally, I haven’t studied Nazi Germany much so I don’t know much besides the general tragedies during this horrifying time. But I really appreciated the way Perec set up this book because it showed how everyone had such different battles in time of WW2, yet they all share the commonality of being brutal and traumatizing. So I pose this question to my classmates,  do you think forgetting memories is a valid way of progressing past trauma? Or do you think addressing the situation head on is more effective? Do we get to choose to forget or address?

4 Thoughts.

1. Hi Tamara,
    I’m intrigued! I wonder if you can explain further what you mean by Perec’s “birds eye perspective”…

2. Hi Tamara,
    I enjoyed reading your post! To answer your questions, I think sometimes trauma certain memories are forgotten almost subconsciously, or the constant recollection and retelling often lead to memories getting lost and confused. I do think that as a society we often chose to forget traumatic experiences when maybe addressing them head-on would be a better solution.

3. Hey Tamara, nice blog post! I was struggling to interpret what the second storyline about W island may represent, but your analysis helped me see it from a different perspective. I wonder if this second narrative allows the narrator to deal with his trauma through a detached lens. Perhaps, the Olympic games that he so heavily details are a metaphor for the traumatic things he experienced during WW2 as you suggest, and through storytelling, the narrator is able to process his ‘missing’ memories. To answer your question, while repressing memories is definitely a common, often subconscious, coping mechanism, I would argue that the frustration the author feels from his lack of memory and security of his identity is worse. However, processing the memories through a detached lens, such as through the W island story, maybe less painful and still provide closure. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! 🙂

4. Hi Tamara, I enjoyed reading your thoughts about the novel! I think forgetting memories may be a common way to try and protect us, however, I don’t think it’s an effective long-term coping mechanism. Perhaps in the short term forgetting memories may work, but over time it may be more damaging. It would be much more effective to address the situation and learn how to cope and heal from it, rather than running away from it. I’m not sure whether we get to choose to forget specific memories, as sometimes it seems like the more we try to forget certain memories, it seems to stick on more. I think perhaps we don’t truly forget those memories, instead, they are buried deep down somewhere in our mind and locked up.