In the loop: October 17-20

Reminders…

Book Fair: Tuesday October 18th –> 11:15am-11:45am

Students will have time to attend our school book fair in the library.

Parent Teacher Conferences: Tuesday October 18th, Wednesday October 19th

If you haven’t already, please be sure to send your child to school on Monday morning with a time for parent teacher conferences!  Your child should have brought home a confirmation time for our meeting.  If not, they will be bringing one home tomorrow (Monday Oct 17) after school. I look forward to meeting with you and discussing our goals for your child this year.

Reading Foundation: Wednesday October 19th (morning)

I will be away at the Reading Foundation with Ms. Price on Wednesday morning to observe and learn about this program.  I am hoping to gain valuable information, resources and techniques to bring back to our classroom.  This requires having a teacher on call (TOC) in my classroom Wednesday morning.

Cross Country District Meet: Thursday October 20 –> 1pm-3pm @ Trout Lake

Ms. Daphne and I will be at Trout Lake Thursday afternoon to coach the Cross Country athletes participating in the district meet.  This means that there will be a teacher on call (TOC) in my classroom Thursday afternoon.  Good luck to all the runners!!

Professional Development Day: Friday October 21st

No school for students.

This week…

Math

This week we are continuing our study of numeration and addition.

Grade 1 students will continue to work with the cards and counters material, the addition strip board, and the decanomial beads.

Grade 2 and 3 students will be working on their  static addition math workbook.  The students are responsible for working on this book a little bit each day with any Montessori math material they have been introduced to.  The grade 3s will also be starting a dynamic addition workbook.

untitled777

Card and Counters

untitle555d

Addition Bingo Game

untitled

Addition Bingo Game

untitled4

Stamp Game

untitled77

Addition Strip Board

Language

The grade 1 students are continuing to focus on their word study and penmanship.  Some students are working with sandpaper letters as well as consistently writing stories in their journals.

untitled444

Grade 2 Word Study

untitled44

Story Writing!

untitled66

The Grade 1s are so excited about writing stories in their journals!

The 2s and 3s got off to a great start on their literature circles last week! They are so excited about these novels that I’m sure it won’t take long for us to read!

0547237650index

Culture

unnamed6

Our Space Station within our culture material! Each cubby has its own planet information. The students use this information to do research. The students write keywords on little slips of paper to then form sentences in their space logbooks.

This week we will continue to sequence the solar system in our groups of 2. We have been using materials to illustrate the order of the planets, the size difference of the planets, and the distance between planets in our solar system.  Half the class was paired up to work together to recreate an accurate poster of the solar system. These students will continue their work this week.

The other half of the class will be introduced to this work on Tuesday morning and will have the opportunity to work in pairs to sequence the solar system this week and into next!

Physical Education

Since I was ill last Friday we will begin our Yoga unit for physical education this Monday.  Since we are studying outer space in our culture studies I am hoping that students will also be able to study their inner space.  I hope to link this yoga unit with our Mindfulness education program to incorporate our breathing practices as well as our self-regulation strategies with the zones of regulation.

Image result for yoga cards