Thank you!

​Hi Division 5 families,

I wanted to express how grateful I am to have had you as a part of my community this past year.  My first year of teaching has been full of some many wonderful experiences with your children.  I have learned so much and feel so lucky to be staying at Tyee in intermediate.

Thank you so much for the thoughtful book of memories and the MEC gift card… you know me too well! I look forward to the new gear!

Enjoy your summer and thank you for the endless support!

Hannah Langille 🙂

In the loop: June 26-29

Riddle of the week: “Imagine you are in a cardboard box with no windows or doors. How do you get out?”

Reminders

Last Day of School: Thursday June 29th

Report Cards: Report cards go home June 29th, the last day of school

Please send your child to school with 2 reusable (or plastic) bags  for cleaning out totes and cubbies on Monday.

Work Charts

Grade 1: June 26-29 grade1workchart

Grade 2: June 26-29 grade2workchart

Grade 3: June 26-29 grade3workchart

Simple Machine Presentations

Students have been working in groups to research and understand simple machines.  They have been taking key words, writing paragraphs together and making a visual to present to their classmates.  Presentations will be happening on Wednesday afternoon.

Assemblies

Grade 7 Assembly: Monday June 26 at 9:30am-10:30am

Recognition Assembly: Tuesday June 27 at 9:15am

Primary and Intermediate concerts: Tuesday June 27 1:00-1:30pm and 1:45-2:30pm respectively

Forces of Motion 

We will briefly be studying forces of motion as an off-shoot study of our simple machines projects.  We will be building our own fidget spinners in the classroom this week.

Letter to Future Teacher

Students will be writing a letter to their future teacher explaining what they love about school, how they learn best and what they need to succeed.

In the loop: June 19-23

Reminders

Poetry Tea Party: 

Your children have been working hard on poetry this spring! They have been inspired to write and share.

On Thursday June 22nd at 2:15pm you are invited to our Poetry Tea Party (Poetree Tea Party) in the Three Trees area of our school grounds.

I am hoping that we can have this event in the Three Trees, weather dependent.  The students will be sharing a poem they have written at the tea party.

I will have a few snacks to share.  Please feel free to contribute to the party!

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Work Charts

Grade 1: June 19-23_grade1workchart

Grade 2: June 19-23_Grade2workchart.docx (1)

Grade 3:June 19-23 grade3workchart

Our focus this week will be primarily finishing up our poetry booklets and practicing for the Tea Party.

Students will also be reflecting on their self-regulation and their ability to persevere when challenges arise.  This reflection is based on the core competencies outlined in the new BC curriculum and will be included in your child’s report card.

Students are finishing up their simple machine group projects this week and will be presenting their learning to their classmates.

Our potatoes are ready for harvest and we will be doing this Tuesday morning.  I have booked the staff room kitchen for Wednesday morning so that we can make something delicious with what we have grown.  If there are any parents who wish to volunteer and help with the cooking please email me at hlangille@vsb.bc.ca .  Thank you!

We have a busy week ahead!

In the loop: June 12-16

Riddle of the week: What weighs the most on a fish?

Reminders

I will be away both Thursday June 15th and Friday June 16th for medical reasons.  Sharon Ghuman will be the TTOC in the classroom for both of these days.

Friday June 16th: Sports Day! Please remember to fill out the food order form and send it back to school with your child.

Thursday June 22 @ 2:15pm: Our Poetree Tea Party to celebrate our amazing journey with poetry this spring.  Please see previous blog post and email for more details.

Work Charts

grade 1: June 12-16_grade1workchart

grade 2: June 12-16_Grade2workchart.docx (1)

grade 3: June 12-16 grade3workchart

Math

All three grades will be working with word problems this week. Grade 2 and 3 students will continue with their division work using the stamp game, the division board, and the division test tubes.

Language

We have been doing increased journal writing lately using our power of observation! Ask your children about observing and how we can use descriptive language and figurative language to produce amazing pictures in our minds.

We will be using this week to prepare our poetry for the Poetree Tea Party on Thursday June 22nd.

A haiku!

Culture

This week the simple machines groups will be working hard to finalize their drafts so that we can begin our final posters to present to the class.

The importance of sleep

Hi Div 5 families,

Here is a friendly reminder on the importance of sleep for our students!

June is a particularly hard month to fit in all those hours because of the longer days but it is essential for our students ability to learn and regulate at school, thanks for your support with this at home:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/children-sleep-guidelines-infants-teenagers-1.3633188

This is an interesting article on screen time guidelines. It’s important to inform ourselves how best to navigate our students (and our own) use:

http://globalnews.ca/news/3493025/heres-how-much-screen-time-your-kids-should-be-getting-according-to-new-recommendations/

Ms. Langille 🙂

Poetree Tea Party

​Hi Parents of Division 5,

In the loop: June 5-9

Work Charts

Grade 1: June 5-9_grade1workchart

Grade 2: June 5-9_Grade2workchart.docx (1)

Grade 3: June 5-9 grade3workchart

Math

grade 1: the grade 1 students have been working hard practicing their time and fraction concepts using various materials.  This week we will begin math word problems.

grade 2: the grade 2 students have also been practicing their time concepts as well as division using the division board and the stamp game.

Grade 1 fraction materials.

Our time area in the classroom.

Division using the stamp game.

The division board.

Benjamin Bear holding up two question cards for eager grade 1 students.

grade 3: the grade 3 students have been practicing division using the division board, the stamp game and will be learning how to practice long division using the Montessori test tube materials this week.

Language

The students are very much still inspired to write poetry! On Monday we spent half an hour in the garden observing using all our senses. The students were encouraged to use descriptive words and figurative language to describe what they were observing via their sense of smell, sight, touch and sound.  Later in the week students used these observations to write a group poem! It was very impressive.

Culture

Guest visit from my partner Steven Schadinger

Steve visited the class last Thursday to talk about teeth (he’s a dental student at UBC).  Posted below are some journal entries from after the visit…

Simple Machines

The students have been divided into six groups of four to do a mini project on a simple machine that they will end up presenting to their classmates.

The six groups are:

1. inclined plane
  2. wedge
  3. screw
  4. level
  5. wheel and axle
  6. pulley

In need of tea! Please donate

Hi Division 5 families,

We are running low on tea in the classroom and was hoping that we could have some tea donations! If you are able to donate a box of tea to our class that would be wonderful.

Our favourite tea flavours:

• peppermint
  • lemon
  • ginger
  • raspberry

Photos on the blog

I’m not sure what’s happening with the photos on the blog… I seem to be having some technical difficulties.  I apologize for the confusion or inconsistencies.

I hope everyone is enjoying the sunshine this weekend 🙂