Toys in the classroom

I would like to issue a classroom policy of  no toys from home in the classroom. I have noticed that many students are bringing Shopkins as well as other belongings from home and this is becoming quite distracting during instructional time.

If the students would like to do a share/show and tell we can arrange that. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

2 Thoughts.

1. Hi there,
    Can you clarify if kids are allowed to bring toys to school but just not in the classroom. My daughter thinks she can’t bring toys to school at all even if she leaves it in her bag during class. She would like to bring toys to school and play with outside of the classroom. If this is allowed can you explain it to the kids again?
    Thanks,
    Marie

• Hi Marie. Sorry for any confusion on this matter. This decision arose from a particular incident in the classroom where students were bringing belongings (Shopkins) from home. The students were playing with them on the playground and were quite distracted by them in the classroom. The toys in the classroom have caused much disrupted learning for the entire class. After a discussion with another primary teacher we agreed that it would be best to issue a no toys in the classroom policy. There are many games and educational materials in the classroom as well as balls, skipping ropes and equipment for outdoor play. Obviously I can’t forbid the students from bringing the toys to class, but for the sake of using our time at school wisely, we strongly discourage it.

On Fridays, the students are encouraged to sign up for share/show and tell. If a toy from home is something they would like to share, that is perfectly acceptable as well.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Hannah