Advice, Current Students, Interviews, Prospective Students

Carol Kuang on choosing electives, standing out, and scuba diving

Meet our new Recruitment & Admissions Officer, Carol Kuang. Carol joined us at UBC Pharm Sci in August and her goal is to help make applying for the Entry-to-Practice PharmD program as simple and transparent as possible. We sat down with Carol for a chat…

Carol Kuang

Carol Kuang

Tell us about yourself! What did you do before starting at UBC Pharm Sci this summer?
I moved to Vancouver earlier this year looking to get back into the higher education industry after a year-long hiatus trying out private sector recruitment. As it turned out, I really missed working with students so I am very excited to be back promoting higher education pathways.

Where are you from originally then? 
I consider myself a Calgarian, but my hometown is Charlottetown, PEI.

What did you study at university?
I completed a Bachelor of Arts in Economics at the University of Calgary. The bulk of my upper-year electives were in behavioural and experimental economics. It basically shows that economic theories based on rational decision-making don’t actually predict much in the real world. Humans aren’t as rational as we like to think we are.

What are you most excited about in this role?
It’s a very exciting time to be a part of the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences. With the new program taking off, there’s a lot of great energy in the building and it feels like a good time for me to lay the groundwork for new recruitment initiatives. I am also excited to meet incredibly bright students, and get to know them from the start to the end of the recruitment cycle.

What advice would you share with students who are thinking about applying for the Entry-to-Practice PharmD program?
Educate yourself on the career options in Pharmacy. You’ll be surprised to learn that there are so many different pathways you can take. Having an understanding of the profession, our program, and the academic requirements to get there will help you set realistic expectations. Aside from the required coursework for admission, take electives that you’ll actually enjoy, not ones you think will look “better” on your transcript. Having that balance between academics, hobbies, and extracurriculars will most likely help you to get better grades, and become more well-rounded.

How can prospective students set themselves apart in the application process?
While grades are important, the crucial piece of the application process is the Multi-Mini Interview (MMI). This is your opportunity to stand out and to leave a lasting impression on the Faculty. It’s hard to give specific advice on how to do this, but there are MMI prep workshops out there. Mentally prepare for the intensity of the interviews, and show your confidence.

What do you do in your spare time? 
If I’m not in the office, or out getting my ice cream fix, you can usually find me picnicking in a park, biking/running/walking along the seawall, or scuba diving around Horseshoe Bay and the Howe Sound. By next year, I hope to own all of my dive gear so that I can volunteer as a diver with the Vancouver Aquarium.

What are you most looking forward to this fall?
I am looking forward to experiencing the recruitment cycle from start to finish, and organizing the MMIs!

If you have questions about applying for the Entry-to-Practice PharmD program, or would just like to chat about whether the program is the right fit for you, Carol is the person to talk to. You can join our bi-monthly Q&A sessions on Facebook, book in for an advising appointment, or meet Carol at a Program Information Evening.

Standard