Advice, Current Students, Interviews

How I Found a Job After Graduation #1: Brett Chiasson

In this new series, we’ll be sharing stories from our alumni about how they found employment after graduation, along with advice from the pros at the Centre for Student Involvement and Careers.

Image: Martin Dee / UBC Communications & Marketing

First up, we spoke with Brett Chiasson. Brett graduated with a Bachelor of Science (Pharmacy) in 2015.

What was your first job after graduation?
My first job after graduation was with London Drugs in Prince George, BC. However, I was approached by Northern Health as well as an independent group of pharmacy owners shortly after starting at London Drugs. I ended up working for an independent pharmacy in Prince George and have been very happy here ever since.

How did you land your job?
I applied to London Drugs and was offered a job after a short interview via Skype. I landed my present job after being contacted by my current boss via email. He had obtained my contact information from when I applied for a job with them while I was a student in UBC pharmacy.

What advice would you share with our students who are about to graduate?
Be open to leaving the Lower Mainland. There are more options for new grads outside of Lower Mainland. Higher wages, more employment opportunities, better hours as hospital and community pharmacies aren’t open as late and so shifts are earlier.

Make the most out of your rotations. Find what is unique about your site and focus on learning about that too, as not all pharmacies are identical. Set a goal at each rotation to earn a good reference for your resume. You can do this by making a good impression with your strong work ethic and willingness to learn.

All of us graduate with the same degree, so really anything that can set you apart, like hobbies, unique experiences, can help you to find employment. I also tried to get as many different summer student employment options as possible throughout my degree.

(Interview by Karie Hanson.)

Standard