Uncategorized

Meet the Student Services Team – Sefanit Habtom, Recruitment and Admissions Officer

Sefanit Habtom

Sefanit Habtom

With the Entry-to-Practice PharmD application process starting, you might find yourself communicating with a member of Pharm Sci Student Services team. This four-part post series will introduce you to the individuals behind the emails. This week, we’d like to introduce you to Sefanit Habtom, Recruitment and Admission Officer.

Tell us about yourself and what brought you to your role with Pharm Sci Student Services?

My name is Sefanit Habtom – more commonly called Sef – and I’m excited to be the Faculty’s first Recruitment and Admissions Officer.  I’m a lover of coffee, captivating books that help pass time on my morning commutes, and trying new places to eat – specifically brunch (and suggestions are welcome).

I’ve recently completed my Undergraduate degree from UBC, studying Kinesiology and Sociology.  Throughout my degree, I enjoyed the many student-positions I held here on campus, and it ultimately excited me to work for the university post-graduation.  Lucky for me, an amazing opportunity with this Faculty had just opened up!

What is your role within Student Services?

As the Recruitment and Admissions Officer, I plan recruitment events, respond to admission inquiries, assist prospective students in course-planning for admittance into our E2P PharmD program, and also do some advising for current Pharmacy students.

What do you enjoy most about your position?

I love interacting with students on a day-to-day basis.  It’s also exciting to be admitting the first set of students into our new E2P PharmD program!

What do you do in your spare time?

I try new restaurants and cafés with friends, and also enjoy reading – my favorite genre is historical fiction.

How do you stay dry during the rainy Vancouver winters?

Born and raised in Vancouver, but I still haven’t gotten used to this rain.  I’m sure to always have layers on and an umbrella close by.  Plus, an extra pair of shoes under my desk comes in handy.

Do you have any advice for students?

Take what you learn in the classroom into your experiences outside the classroom & find ways to engage with Pharmacy in your extracurricular activities to add greater meaning to course concepts!

Do you have any questions you would like to ask Sef? Feel free to leave them in the comments below or shoot her an email at sefanit.habtom@ubc.ca.

Standard