Uncategorized

UBC Summer Campus Gems

Without a doubt, UBC is at its most stunning in the summer months. Beautiful clear skies create a sparkle in the water, outdoor patios boast friends catching up, and late sunsets at Wreck Beach mean plenty of time to work on a tan. While everyone may know that Nitobe is stunning this time or year, or to Instagram the Rose Garden, there are a couple of more low key spots on campus to enjoy during the summer. I asked around the office, and here are a few of our summer campus gems.

“This university has no shortage of beautiful spaces around campus, but one of my absolute favorite gems at UBC has to be the Museum of Anthropology (MoA). Architecturally, the MoA is stunning. Designed by Arthur Erikson, the towering concrete pillars and floor to ceiling glass make it one of the most visually appealing structures on campus. Not only is the museum itself magnificent, but tucked between the park’s trees, the MoA sits on the edge of campus, giving it a beautiful view of the ocean and a perfect spot to watch the sun set over the water. The area surrounding the museum features a serene reflecting pool and is accompanied by a series of First Nation’s totem poles. The large green space and hills outside of the MoA make it an ideal place to sit, take in the beautiful scenery and unwind after a long day. I find the museum and all that surrounds it to be one of the most peaceful and quiet places on campus and try to venture out to it as much as I can.”

MOA

– Brandon Lal, Communications & Marketing Assistant

“One of my family’s favorite places on campus is the community garden, located just down Main Mall towards the Stadium. We’ve had a plot there for the past 3 years and every summer my kids would run/bike to the garden after dinner to water it, and to of course pick and eat peas, carrots, strawberries, lettuce, etc.  I grew up in Los Angeles not knowing a thing about growing my own vegetables and fruits, and while I still don’t have a clue (thanks to my husband who does all the gardening), I absolutely LOVE watching the joy and excitement in my kids when picking and eating stuff out of our own garden!   Not only that, the garden becomes a very popular socializing spot in the summer where all of our friends gather around and catch up.”

UBC Community Garden

– Grace Wood, Manager, Office of the Associate Dean, Practice Innovation

As for me – if you are looking for a quick thrill without leaving campus, the Greenheart Canopy Walk is definitely for you. You can find it in the heart of UBC Botanical Garden, making it much closer than a comparable adventure in Capilano (plus, I honestly believe the UBC one is better). Designed by Greenheart, a Vancouver company that has eco-centric projects all over the world, the Canopy Walk allows you to take a beautiful stroll in the trees. The platform at the highest peak (20 meters) allows you to see the forest in a whole new light – peering at the tops of 100 year old trees, rather than looking up from below. It leaves you with a sense of awe and reverence for nature. While I may be 65 feet in the air, suddenly I always feel more grounded than ever before. The actual canopy walk is a little wobbly, but never nauseatingly so, making it a great place to take your family when they visit.

ubc canopy walk

What is your favourite hidden campus gem during the summer? Comment below, or tweet it to us at @ubcpharmacy, or hashtag a picture with #ubcCampusGems

–          Sukhman Perhar, Communications and Marketing Assistant

Standard