Uncategorized

Why Pharmacy? Ainge Chang’s Story

This is the last in our series of personal stories and testimonials from Pharmacy students about their experiences at UBC Pharm Sci. The deadline to apply for our new Entry to Practice PharmD program is February 2nd, 2015.

ainge“”What’s the right program for me? What should I do?”

I’m sure every student has asked this before, during, and even after his or her time at UBC. Like a buffet, the options available at UBC seem endless; so entertain these questions from my current experience as a UBC Pharmacy student:

“Do you want a profession that is constantly evolving?”

The scope of practice for pharmacists is ever changing. Pharmacists are now qualified to provide vaccinations, smoking cessation services, medication reviews, and prescription adaptations. The UBC Pharm Sci program has faculty and students at the forefront of these innovations and ensures we are kept up-to-date. I’m excited that we are advocating for practice change to optimize pharmaceutical care.

“Do you want to be constantly learning?”

There’s no hiding that there is great camaraderie among pharmacy students, especially as we learn together through trials by fire. But the learning doesn’t just stop in the classroom or after graduation. Pharmacy provides experiential learning and continuing education opportunities for students and pharmacists, respectively, to complement your existing knowledge.

Along with your medication knowledge, you’ll improve your communication skills, as you’ll encounter people from all walks of life. Compassion, empathy, critical thinking and developing a professional appearance are only some ways you’ll grow as an individual. There is no greater motivation for self-improvement than after reviewing a filmed patient counselling session and thinking, “Is that really me!?”

“Do you want to contribute to someone’s primary care?”

What has perhaps been most rewarding thus far is being able to recommend the most suitable treatments for a patient’s given condition, and then have them return to thank you for your care. Granted, I’m only a student now, but the patient encounters I’ve had in the practice lab and as a pharmacy assistant reaffirm why I am in pharmacy – and that is to care for someone.

Bottom line is, pharmacy is only one of many programs here at UBC and I can only tell you my story. Thanks to UBC Pharm Sci, I feel empowered to apply and share my knowledge about medications. If you want to work in a trusted profession, consider pharmacy. If you want to be able to apply your clinical skills, optimize care for someone, and communicate effectively (while having some fun along the way), consider UBC Pharm Sci. Remember here at UBC, Tuum Est.””

– Ainge Chang, Third Year BSc(Pharm) Student

Standard