Uncategorized

Why Pharmacy? Joyce Chang’s Story

Over the next few weeks, we’ll be sharing a series of personal stories and testimonials from Pharmacy students about their experiences studying at UBC Pharm Sci. To learn more about our program, register for the upcoming information session. The deadline to apply for our new Entry to Practice PharmD program is February 2nd, 2015.

20140824_141415_mh1408937646646_mr1408937674727“I entered Pharmacy, drawn by the prospect that I would be able to gain useful knowledge and practical skills to help patients and customers and be an accessible part of the health care team. With our professional training, we would be able to alleviate anxiety, correct misconceptions found on the internet, as well as ensure that patients receive safe and effective medication for their needs. Pharmacy is a growing field and the expansion of roles and new opportunities excited me.

I liked the end goal of pharmacy school and thus entered the program without much consideration for the process, other than hearing that it is “hard”. This program is definitely challenging but in a motivating and inspiring way. I like how applicable the material we learn in lecture and labs are to our work as future pharmacists. Working in a community pharmacy currently, I personally find it so rewarding to be able to recall something learnt in lecture or lab and answer patient questions or do some preliminary medication counselling. I have now become the “go to” person when friends and family have minor ailments or questions about certain medications. It excites me to know that in a few years time, I would be able to counsel all of these medications and to answer any questions that patients may have. This is one thing I like a lot about pharmacy school – the application of knowledge and how the things that we learn are “useable” in “real life” to make a difference in the lives of others. There is a meaningful purpose in the things you learn to do in lab as well as the topics taught in lecture. Like learning how to compound medicated lotions and creams or what the proper way of using an inhaler is. The sense of accomplishment and feeling that your knowledge and the hours you’ve put in studying, is meaningful and worth your effort, is one of the most rewarding feelings in the world. This drives me to want to learn more and own the information, rather than simply regurgitating it on an exam and forgetting about it. Pharmacy is a program where I feel like I am growing, rather than simply completing courses, year in and year out. Furthermore, I like how all of the students take all of the lectures together. It really builds a sense of community and the feeling of being supported, not only by your peers but also by the faculty.

I would definitely recommend pharmacy to anyone who would like to make a difference within their community, enjoys interacting with people, and has a passion for science and healthcare. It is a challenging program but it is also very stimulating. If the idea of learning about the human body, disease states and the various therapeutic options for diseases and conditions interest you, Pharmacy is definitely a good program to consider.”

Joyce Chang, Second Year BSc(Pharm) Student

Standard