Reflection on ENGL 301 Definitions Assignment

Initially, I was hesitant about why an assignment like this mattered. I quickly realized the importance of making complex, subject-specific terminology accessible to people with varying levels of knowledge. This assignment taught me how to breakdown scientific jargon in a way it could be communicated to the general public.

Definitions Assignment

This is a reflection of my Definitions Assignment concerning the term: Genetic Drift. I was tasked with defining the term on three different levels (parenthetical, sentence, and expanded). Those definitions were then peer reviewed. I then revised my definitions based off the critique to produce final, edited definitions.

The Original Writing: This was an interesting exercise for me. I’m very accustomed to technical writing, so this assignment forced me to cut out or explain all jargon. I found myself struggling to describe a topic that I understand very well, in language that was concise and understandable. It made me realize how scientific research must seem so foreign to novice readers.

I found the textbook extremely helpful, especially considering I’d never heard of parenthetical, sentence, or expanded definitions before. I think knowing the difference between these three definitions will improve my writing skills, because I’ll be able to write for audiences with different scientific knowledge levels.

The Peer Review Process: I really appreciate the peer review process. It was nice to get almost immediate feedback. It really clarified any suspicions I had about certain sections that I wasn’t sure were jargon-y or not. The process made me realize how important it is to define the specific audience you are writing for. This determines the level of detail and type of terminology you can use, and whether certain terms should be explained.

I also found it interesting to review my peer’s work because it gave me practice critiquing other’s assignments with tact and constructive criticism.

The Editing Process: After editing my original definitions assignment, I think my term is much more developed and understandable for novice readers. The entire process was very eye opening. I spent years studying topics that many people have never even heard of. Not only does this make me appreciate my education, but it definitely makes me a better writer. This assignment gave me the opportunity to practice a style of writing that I am not accustomed to, but is extremely important for the scientific community if we are to convey new discoveries to the public.

I can also appreciate the applications to business and sales. The ability to write clearly and articulate complicated topics to people are invaluable. Knowing who your audience is and writing for them, in a way they’ll understand is one of my greatest takeaways from this assignment.

My original definitions assignment: Revised Definition
Peer Review by Adrienne Yap: https://blogs.ubc.ca/engl301-99a-2019wa/2019/09/26/peer-review-of-definitions/