Why Should We Take Our Tuition Bill As Is?

Graduation Is Built On Money

I had never considered how expensive my UBC tuition bills were before. Perhaps it was my mindset that university bills are naturally high; or perhaps, I had always thought there was nothing I could do about my bill, so why would I second-guess it?

This could be explained, according to Kash Kaur’s blog, as the students having weak buyer power. We, as individual students, cannot go up to the dean and demand a lower tuition individually: we simply accept the price as is.

Each university is unique in what it can offer its students, be it the environment or the faculty, and it is that point of differentiation that makes students have few substitutes, and thus giving them a high supplier power.

Since it’s hard to build a university, there is a high barrier to entry into this field. And since people usually choose universities over community, universities have low rivalry. Overall, universities are very secure and will probably never be out-of-business.

They have no fear in losing us, because, as Kash Kaur puts, “Students must buy inputs (education) to create output (successful future).”

Sad, but it seems students will never beat the university.

University = Future

1 thought on “Why Should We Take Our Tuition Bill As Is?