New Traditions

Week 5 – August 16th to August 23rd

When you’ve been living in the same building for six weeks, with the same group of wonderful people for six weeks, with the same set school schedule for six weeks, eventually one gets into a routine of things. Although I have been loving every minute of exploring all that Sydney has to offer, I am also finding myself looking forward to the week-after-week events that have begun to occur around QMB – or, heck, with a few more under our belts, one might even call them “traditions”.

A few Wednesdays ago, my #westcoastbestcoast-ers and myself found ourselves craving something. Something that although is very easy to get here, is 1. Not that popular, and 2. Quite expensive. After checking out the prices at our go-to grocery store Coles, I discovered that buying salmon was just not feasible on a student budget. However, when there were three of us all wanting some, we thought, Hey! Why not split the cost of a gourmet meal, and cook a wholesome, nutritious, tasty feast together? So, we did just that. Who would have thought that for less than $10 I would be nomming on lemon garlic salmon, zucchini fritters, avocado aioli and a fresh green salad on the side? Definitely not me.11912900_982311761820067_302800305_n

11951024_982311731820070_1967621538_nWhen the next week rolled around, we thought since the week before had been such a roaring success, economically, nutritionally and socially, why not do it again? So after minutes hours of planning, fam dinner night 2.0 was born. Stuffed capsicums (peppers for all you non-Aussies), refried beans and chickpeas, and corn on the cob made for a semi-Mexican fiesta evening. Two dinners in, and we’re already planning future evening meals for weeks to come. Simple to say that I can assure you that Wednesday night dinners will be a regular thing (SEE MUM? I’M FEEDING MYSELF).

Moving along with the week, we come to Thursdays, which have become somewhat of a double whammy. Thanks to my British hombres, I have been introduced to the wonderful, wonderful world of the Great British Bake-Off (or GBBO for short). Think Master Chef, but British accents, baked goods, and an adorable old lady judging. Honestly, what more could you want out of a TV series?? Thursdays nights now consist of British tea, biscuits, and GBBO in the theatre – potentially my favourite evening of the week.

Click here for a quick snippet – I assure you, you will not be disappointed.

oh my heart

With all this talk of baked goods, it only seemed fitting that we actually do some baking ourselves to fill our bellies, instead of just our dreams with sweet, sweet chocolate. An unofficial baking club has commenced as a result, but the results so far have been SUPERB. Armed with only 1/3 and ¼ cup measures, one metal bowl and an alarming lack of muffin tins and spatulas (the horror!), we’ve tackled Blondies, Avocado Chocolate Chips Cookies (my fav so far) and Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread. These recipes really do take the cake (GET IT?? THEY’RE ALL DESSERTS) and help to make Thursdays an all around evening of baking-goodness.

And finally Fridays…glorious Fridays, free of class, homework, and all around responsibility. Luckily for me, I have found others who also share the magic of no-class Fridays, and who also share a love for the outdoors. Hence, the Bombin’ Bushwalkers were born. Ready to take on the rugged Australian landscape, the last three Fridays have consisted of early wake ups, long trains rides, and three very different, yet individually spectacular bush walks in their own rights. Not only has it been great to get the extra exercise, but it’s given all of us the opportunity to get outside the city and see some parts of Sydney I don’t think any of us would have seen otherwise. With lots more walks to discover and the weather getting nicer and nicer by the week, I can’t wait to see what else we can discover.

Sometimes traditions don’t need to occur on a certain day of the week or at a certain time of day. Sometimes, they can be whenever, wherever, because sometimes you just want a Tim Tam. Or 6. Tea and Tim Tam seshes have become hugely popular with our crew, and a regular occurrence at least twice a week. The procedure goes as follows:

*to Facebook group*: “Tea and Tim Tams on Level 8”

*everyone goes to level 8 to drink tea and eat Tim Tams*

It’s become a ritual that allows us to catch up with each other, see how one’s day or week went, and just enjoy the wonderful company. This tradition has been a part of the QMB family since day 1, and I must admit, probably one of my absolute favourites.

Quite obviously original is the popular flavour

Weekly events are helping to really making this place feel like home, and the people I am here with feel like a family all-unto themselves. Thanks guys for taking part in these new traditions, and I’m eager to see what else may arise from our time here together <3<3

Much love,

Steph