Monday Sun

by rebecca ~ May 30th, 2005. Filed under: Ordinary Miracles.

Oh, what a beautiful string of four diamond days we have had: sunshine, fluffy white clouds, and 70 degrees (and resultant sun-burned shoulders).

Life really flies into the blue sky when such miraculous weather happens. We who last through long winters probably have a heightened sense of love of the green grass and the tulips and the warmth and the birds chirping…

This Friday evening I even heard and saw an authentic Japanese cuckoo-bird (hottogisu) for the first time in a nearby park. Just like the sumi-e paintings, it perched high on a pine tree in its ruffled white and black feathers and sang “Ooo-ooo, Ooo-ooo.”

I took my friend Keiko for her birthday to my new favorite cafe, which is nestled in the side of a hill and overlooks a rushing river and another mountain side. We sat outside (as inside there are only two tiny cramped seats) and I devoured my new craving: coconut scones, slightly warmed, with orange marmalade.

The cafe is also in the coolest neighborhood, Arashiyama (storm-mountain) Pottery Village. There are so many funky, artistic homes there, with many potters, woodcrafters, and otherwise artistic types…someday I hope to have a home built with Andre’s and my own designs in mind, too. That said, no copper coins have been appearing on our tin plate of late. But dreams are nourishing for the soul…and dreams go well with cuckoo birds, blinding red, yellow, and orange tulips and lush greens.