Posted by: | 13th Dec, 2008

Good Morning!!

Views from my room window. It’s Saturday so the construction crews aren’t working today.

Most people are woken up by the sound of their alarm clocks, some by their spouse/partner/equivalent, and some even by the crowing of roosters – aka cocks (giggity!) – I, like many other residents of the Marine Drive Dorm, am woken up by the cacophony of construction sounds outside my bedroom window at 7:30am sharp every weekday morning. (see pic above)

Initially, I regarded this as a mild nuisance, but now I have become accustomed….even attached…to the construction noise that starts at 7:30am every weekday morning. While others may hear jackhammers, forklifts, etc., I have come to regard our 7:30am ritual as ubc housing’s way of gently nudging me to get out of bed, giving me a warm hug, and sending me off to start my day. I got so much done this semester, probably because I was encouraged to get out of bed so early.

This morning, like most weekends, the construction crews weren’t working. Perhaps out of habit, I woke up at 7:30 this morning to the eiree silence outside the building. I freaked out a bit initially, and I got to thinking: in an insane, weird, totally abnormal way, I am really going to miss the construction noise when they finish that building….

Responses

[…] actually went an entire night without sleeping; I got up at 7:30am (re: Good Morning!), worked that entire day, that entire night, and the next entire day. In the university community […]

Leave a response

Your response: