Posted by: | 16th Jan, 2009

Preparedness

During a safety seminar a few days ago, the instructor talked about emergency plans, and how we should all have them in case of..well…emergencies. The notion of emergency plans gave me a flashback to an incident that happened in rez a short while ago.

At 3am in the morning, the fire alarm went off in our residence building, and we had to evacuate. We ended up waiting ~20 minutes outside in the freezing cold. We realized there was no actual fire, and some joker had probably pulled the fire alarm when we were allowed back in and fire trucks did not even show up.

Up to that point in my life, I was fortunate to not have experienced an evacuation situation. However, in the back of my mind, I thought if I had to make a quick escape, I would know to grab my essential items such as my wallet, keys, phone, lecture notes (priceless), and perhaps some important documents such as my passport.

Well, it turns out I grabbed only my phone, and I got to thinking: in an emergency situation, are we really capable of doing what we plan/think we should do?

In life, many disasterous events lurk among us, and may strike at any time: the asian tsunami, hurricane katrina, Madonna’s arms, Cloverfield Monsters….nobody saw them coming, and when the next one strikes, are we as apt to handle it as we think we are?

Responses

Hi Tim – just found your blog and thought I’d say hi. Welcome to the Squad!

Leave a response

Your response: