Posted by: | 22nd Jan, 2009

I Can’t Believe It Is Not Ice Cream

Did you know that when you buy ice cream at the grocery store, unless the ice cream carton specifically states the words “ice cream,” then it is not actually ice-cream?

Huh? That was precisely my reaction.

Ice cream, traditionally, is made with milk. Recently, manufacturers have been churning out (pardon the pun) “frozen desserts” that look and taste like ice cream, but is actually made with vegetable oil.

I am not claiming that frozen desserts (made with vegetable oil) is in any way hazardous to one’s health, or that it is in any way an inferior product to ice cream. I’m just pointing out that one should pay attention to the labelling. When I pick out ice cream at the grocery store, I consider flavour and price, and I’m complacent to the fact that if the carton has a picture of something that resembles ice cream, then it is real ice cream.

When I was first forwarded the article link, I raced to my freezer only to find I’ve finished off my carton of ice cream already, but I still have 1/3 of my McCain Chocolate Cake (slurp!) and I ain’t care whatz in that coz I’m finishing that sucka off.

My roommate, however, has a carton of frozen dessert. Perhaps I shall break the bad news to him after dessert…no wait before.

Responses

Mmmm… icy-frozen-creamy-dessert…

Welcome to the Blog Squad, Tim! Which department/program are you involved with?

(Are your posts being fed onto the aggregate Blog Squad page, by the way?)

This ranks among my list of Things I’m Unaware of Consuming, which includes clone beef.

Leave a response

Your response: