World Water Week 2011

Hello everyone!

I am very excited to announce that World Water Week  planning at UBC Okanagan is well under way for 2011. This year’s theme is “Water for Cities: Responding to the Urban Challenge”. So far,  we are just in the early stages of developing our schedule of events but it looks like this year will be one to remember.

This year World Water Week will be overseen by  Leanne Bilodeau Director, Sustainability Operations and myself Allisha Luther your student coordinator. Leanne, myself and John Wagner (our Steering Committee Chair) are looking forward to the various events that are planned for this year.

As our keynote speaker this year, we are very honored to have Oliver Brandes.  Oliver is a political ecologist who has been involved in various environmental and development projects in Costa Rica and Ecuador, including a tropical reforestation initiative, water treatment facility construction and a sea-turtle restoration project. He also worked in Canada’s North for the territorial judges at the Nunavut Court of Justice. Additionally we will have a variety of events from the student body and community member throughout the week.

Please stay tuned for further updates!

4 Comments so far

1. Carol Kergan on January 23rd, 2011

Hello John, Leanne and Allisha,

While no longer a student, and not at UBCO, I, as an alumni, would like to be a community link and resource to this annual event on an ongoing business. John and I worked on this event at its inception…and I as a water activist and Steering Committee member of the Council of Canadians would like to support this year’s event and help in what ways you may find useful. I am helping again with this year’s Travelling World Community Film Festival March 10th-13th which will be held at both UBCO and Okanagan College. We have the film Water on the Table…a powerful film that highlights the work of Maude Barlow on the global issue of water. Perhaps you would like to be involved in our scheduling of the showing time and such like on either Thursday or Friday March 10th, or 11th? We are just lining up the final schedule of the films…another one that is powerful and on the topic of water is Oil in Eden which speaks of the risk of the Enbridge oil pipeline that is proposed to run from the oilfields of Alberta to the port on the BC coast and then to have the oil shipped over to Asian ports. This is important for more folks to know about too!

On the website just click the link for the film descriptions. My home phone number is 250 868 0900

2. pure green coffee extract free trial

World Water Day at UBC OKanagan » World Water Week 2011

3. nya casinon on September 23rd, 2014

If some one wants to be updated with newest technologies afterward
    he must be pay a quick visit this website and be up to date
    daily.

4. Promo Bank on September 10th, 2015

Promo Bank