What are you selling?

You know sometimes when you look through a magazine, and as you flip through the countless pages of advertisements, you can’t actually figure out what they are for. You always see some breath-takingly beautiful women/men posing provocatively. Until you read the tiny captions at the very bottom then you realize “Ohhh it’s a perfume/underware/etc. Ad!”. I guess this has become a trend in marketing whatever you are selling.

Recently a controversy was generated when a Calgary real estate agent appeared on her own billboard provocatively and with sexually inviting comments “Let me take you home. It’s gorgeous inside:”. The following is a news clip of the story.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/02/07/let-me-take-you-home-its-gorgeous-inside-calgary-real-estate-agents-sexy-advertisement-stirs-controversy/

I don’t know about you. But when I see the controversial billboard in the video, I thought it was an Ad probably for a dating website or those really sketchy phone call services. Again until I saw the sign of Re/Max, I finally realized it’s for selling houses. A bit far-fetched isn’t it?

Many people demonstrated their concerns with the underlying message in the tone of the Ad. I however have doubts about its professionalism and marketing strategy. What kind of image or impression are you trying to establish in you potential clients? Sure you might lure some male attention, but you might lose a lot of female support as well. And will these attention be the kind that you wanted?