Geob 270-Lab 3: Planning for a Tsunami with ArcGIS

Standard

Percentage of City of Vancouver’s Total Area that is Affected by a Potential Tsunami

16% of the city of Vancouver would be in danger if there is a tsunami hits. To calculate this, I found the areas of ‘Vancouver_Danger’ and ‘Vancouvermask’ layers by going to their attribute tables respectively. Thus, I calculated the geometry of the area in square meters.

Total danger area of Vancouver =20302078.291704 meters – Summing up the category of ‘Sum of Danger Area in m2’ from table above

Total area of Vancouver =131033339.950334 meters – Going to the attribute table of ‘Vancouvermask’ layer in ArcMap

Percentage of the city of Vancouver total area affected by potential tsunami= (20302078.291704/ 131033339.950334) x 100%= 15.49383% ~ 16%

Education and Healthcare Facilities that are Affected by a Potential Tsunami

In order to find these facilities, I used Intersect tool in ArcToolBox, going to Analysis Tools > Overlay > Intersect. Then, I combine the  ‘Vancouver_Danger’ layer with the ‘Vancouver_health’ and ‘Vancouver_education’ layer separately. Then, I opened the Attribute tables of the two newly intersected layers to see the names of the healthcare and education facilities that could be affected by a potential Tsunami. Here are the list of the education and healthcare facilities within the Vancouver Danger Zone:

Education facilities within the Vancouver Danger Zone:

1. ST ANTHONY OF PADUAECOLE ROSE DES VENTS
  2. HERITAGE 3R’S SCHOOL
  3. VANCOUVER MONTESSORI SCHOOL
  4. FALSE CREEK ELEMENTARY
  5. EMILY CARR INSTITUTE OF ART & DESIGN (ECIAD)
  6. HENRY HUDSON ELEMENTARY
  7. ST JOHN’S INTERNATIONAL
  8. ST FRANCIS XAVIER
  9. INSTITUTE OF INDIGENOUS GOVERNMENT (IIG)

Healthcare facilities within the Vancouver Danger Zone:

1. FALSE CREEK RESIDENCE
  2. BROADWAY PENTECOSTAL LODGE
  3. COAST WEST COMMUNITY HOME
  4. YALETOWN HOUSE SOCIETY
  5. VILLA CATHAY CARE HOME

Vancouver Tsunami Risk Map