Reflection

My initial thoughts about marketing was that the subject was primarily about advertising. Throughout the course, I learned that marketing was more than just advertising. The variety of strategies and structures observed not only showed the depth and breadth of marketing, but also the impact it had on lives.

I feel that what made marketing worthwhile were the discussions held in class. For example, I truly learned the power of marketing when we discussed the story behind Alberta beef, and how long it took for the nation to restore its reputation for beef production. The video clips showing different advertisements really captured the potential of marketing: changing perspectives of people in an instant.

I believe that the most valuable lesson that this course taught me was to be more aware. Much of the marketing tactics and strategies relies upon tugging upon our sub conscience. Many times, we are being influenced without even noticing! Thus, I have committed to becoming more aware and more attentive to the details in life.

One of the more pleasant surprises I had in this course was the energy and passion of the professor. Of all the professors I’ve had so far, Tamar has got to be one of the most enthusiastic professors I’ve ever encountered. The passion made the class so much better, because knowing that your teacher is interested in your learning process is quite encouraging.

One of the more discouraging aspects of the course was perhaps the lack of cohesion with my group members, especially for the last assignment. A lot of times I felt that the projects were just separated into parts and done individually, lacking the chemistry I feel is necessary for a group to be successful. I feel that is partly due to the nature of the projects, where it could be easily divided into individual parts. Other than that, this course has been overall a great experience.