Cut in food stamps makes the poor worse off

Due to the economic depression, the food stamps in America began to be cut by the government. For many common people, hardly will they care about a little cut in food stamps, because without these food stamps, they still can have sufficient good, and won’t suffer from hunger. However in America, for hundreds of the poor who rely on food stamps, decrease in food stamps undoubtedly makes them worse off. It means there are no more enough food for the whole families before the month is over and more poor people begin to beg for food.

“I don’t need a whole lot to eat,” said Leon Simmons, 63, who spends more than half of his monthly $832 Social Security income to rent a room in an East Charleston house. “But this month I know I’m not going to buy any meats.”¹

From the old poor Leon’s experience, we know that for a person who barely wants to utilize a couple hundred dollars to afford  house rent and  enough food to eat, the cut in foods tamps plays an important role in his life. Instead, not only are the food stamps decreased, but also the prices in groceries keep sky-high to those who are unable to afford the loss in food stamps. In my view, it’s high time that government should  make a correct measure to help those poor people.

Citation:

1. Severson, KIM , and WINNIE Hu. “Cut in Food Stamps Forces Hard Choices on Poor.” the new york times. N.p., n.d. Web. 7 Nov. 2013. <http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/08/us/cut-in-food-stamps-forces-hard-choices-on-poor.html?pagewanted=2&hp>.

Reference: