L’Oreal and Management Information System – Ha Neul (Hannah) Chung

Recently, I read Ha Neul (Hannah) Chung’s new post “L’Oreal and Management Information System”. She thought L’Oreal was a great example for using MIS. It let me think of what we discussed in Class 17, the Management Information System( MIS). We know that MIS provides managers with available access to information that can be used to make decisions efficiently and effectively. As a result, companies use MIS to more conveniently collect data, analyze and facilitate their strategies and activities.

According to Hannah’s example, besides L’Oreal, I also found  YouTube was an excellent example of using MIS flexibly. Since people create a online account on YouTube, they are able to subscribe channels, upload and like videos. Meanwhile, YouTube will track and record what people watched, and according to what they liked and subscribed before, it will send emails about latest updates of those subscribed videos and make related suggestions on people’s home pages as well. With the information gathered by YouTube online, it  provides a more convenient and efficient way for people to easily find videos they enjoy. Meanwhile, it is also beneficial for YouTube to keep an attraction among individuals.

However, I still have the same question with Hannah, that if the information provided by MIS is always reliable and accurate. Furthermore, with the society changing so rapidly, if a company changes its core value proposition and customer segments, will the given information still available and outdated for itself? Therefore, I believe we need more further study about MIS in order to make sure it is accurate even the society is always changing.

Link:

07.L’Oreal and Management Information System