Skip navigation

It draws my attention that only half-of UK employers are aware of the Bribery Act reported by Ernest & Young. I can easily think of a bribery case in China or Russia; however, I haven’t noticed that bribery is also very common in UK until I saw this post.

Half of businesses ‘unaware of Bribery Act’

Surrounded by a bustling and fast-paced environment, people nowadays are craving to get succeed in a short term, so the eager goals drive them away from an ethical track. Some entrepreneurs take advantage of bribery to make easy money. As such, they gradually lose consciousness and integrity, and  step onto a wrongful path, but sooner or later, the business will fall into a risk.

As scandals disclosed, business will lose trust and respect from their customers, and once the trusting relationship gets destroyed, it is less likely to be rebuilt.

Johnson & Johnson settles bribery case

I’ve been taking Tylenol extra-strength pills these days to stave off fever, and it reminds me of the Tylenol recall case decades ago, as well their bribery scandal in recent. In 1982, Johnson & Johnson was renowned for its immediate ethical decision of recalling millions of bottles Tylenol; even though the company suffered a loss in the short run, it earned their consumer’s trust in a long term which enabled J&J to go through crisis smoothly and quickly. However, in recent years, several J&J bribery scandals in Europe and China have been revealed, and they seriously hurt the company’s image. Has J&J lost their credo as time passed by?

I believe the prime cause of the common bribery issue around the world is that firms weigh too much on solely “profit” and gradually lose attention on their customers; however, business is all about PEOPLE. To run a successful business, one is certain to truly take care of one’s “people”, act with integrity and honesty, and build a long-lasting trustworthy and healthy relationship with them.

Source:

http://www.personneltoday.com/articles/02/01/2013/59109/half-of-businesses-39unaware-of-bribery-act39.htm

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2011/04/johnson_johnson_settles_briber.html