Love is all good… right? A note on Northanger Abbey

First of all, I am a huge Jane Austen fan. Even though today in lecture I found out she was not the NICEST person….. I don’t care. Her writing, (as quotes by somebody I do not recall in the lecture today) was not just stylish, but style itself. I fell in love with Pride and Prejudice  when I first read it, and I knew that reading more of Austen’s work, I would equally fall in love. Now, this whole post actually is going to be all about love.

In most happy endings, we see that the girl and the guy get together. Cinderella and Prince Charming, Rapunzel and that guy that saves her (haha), and various other lovely couples all have that fairytale ending. Even in Pride and Prejudice, Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy get together, and it is lovely. However, the ending to this novel is a little bittersweet. I have to say that  I am a little confused on seeing this as an exactly “happy” ending. Catherine is “delighted” to marry Henry. He marries her because he love the fact that she is in love with him. My question is; is this considered a happy ending? Or was it just so Austen could end the book on a bit of a better note for Catherine?