Life in Grenoble

by allisonf ~ February 11th, 2011. Filed under: Uncategorized.

Well it has been about 2 weeks since we arrived back in Grenoble from Barcelona. We have done many cool and new things in our city….given that it has been nothing but blue skies here everyday!

We’ve gone out to some parties with exchange students, been to many different local cafes and have discovered some of our favourites, tried new french dishes, been to dinner parties with our french roomates, tried to speak french etc, etc. We are getting used to the pattern of nightlife here: have dinner at 8:30 or 9, have drinks, then go out to a bar at 11:30, then hit the clubs around 1am, and return home around 3 or 4 am!! Yikes, haha. Of course it’s necessary to counter such craziness by doing yoga, so I have been sorta doing mini classes with our roomates in our living space…I hope to get more people over and have a larger class! It’s really fun.

2 weekends ago, we went to Les Deux Alpes, one of the many great ski mountains here. Unfortunately, it was pretty icy, as it hasn’t snowed on the Alps in over 2 weeks, but happy hour at Panu bar was exceptional! It was gorgeous blue skies, and there was a dj with an outdoor multi-level bar/dancefloor, with the most breathtaking view you could imagine. As per usual, Megan and I got super cheap drinks simply by saying we were Canadian girls! I had vin chaud for 2 euros!

The next day we checked out the major museums in Grenoble for free: first the Musee de L’Ancien Eveche and after le Museu de Grenoble. The Grenoble museum was fantastic, massive….so many massive works of art in Greco-roman style, all the way right up to contemporary works. After we went to a lovely cafe in Notre Dame and sunbathed on the patio while eating our lunch and drinking our cafe cremes.

Finally, I got myself a cell phone plan. As everyone has been saying this is crucial for social events while I am here in Grenoble. Although, it kinda sucks not to be able to text all the people back in Canada!

Some nights we had some friends over to our place, and other we went out. Just a few days ago we met up with our Greek friends from Thessaloniki at a local bar called Bukana, it was a nice time.

Last night we went to MC2 for a night of dancing to french DJs, of course we are quite tired today, but didn’t miss any classes even though we didn’t get home until 3 am! Now we will go for a walk in the city center.

Probably the biggest news is that Megan and I booked a trip over spring break to Dublin, Ireland, and then to Malta. We leave on the 26th of Feb for Dublin, stay in a hostel the first night, then a hotel the next 3 nights (both located in central central Dublin, ie close to the bangin Irish nightlife!). We are super stoked for Ireland, as we are taking a class on the society and transformation of the country and got our professor to give us some really good recommendations of historical sites to check out! Much to come on this. For all of you out there who have read the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon, you will know all about the stone circles. On March 2nd, we fly out of Dublin to Malta, a small island country south of Sicily. Here we will meet up with James, and stay in a 4 star hotel for 5 nights…suntanning by day, and dancing by night! We fly out of Malta to London on March 7th, and stay for one night in London before flying back to Grenoble on Tuesday the 8th (due to a bad flight connection at a different airport). Can’t wait! 2 weeks and counting!

Here is a link for info about Malta (the part we are staying in is the bumping neighborhood near Valletta called St. Julians/Sliema. Our hotel is right on St. Georges Bay.

Here is some info on Dublin. We are staying right in the center center, by Temple Bar and O’Connel Street, both when we are in the hostel and in the hotel. Here are some places we will check out that our prof recommended:

“So the main places I would recommend in Dublin would be:
Trinity College (especially the old Library with the Book of Kells,  plus it’s a nice place to walk around)
Dublin Castle and at the same time the Chester Beatty library which  has amazing oriental art – not Irish at all but very beautiful!
The National Museum – now at two sites, but I think it’s the one on  Kildare street that is still the most interesting
The National Gallery if you like art.
The main area of Dublin for cafés and bars is Temple Bar, between the  Castle and Trinity. Just be careful, it can get pretty wild at night! 
In general, you need to be a little careful in Dublin late at night –  unfortunately the Irish do live up to their reputation as serious  drinkers!

You might also like to take the suburban train (the Dart) out south of  Dublin to Dalkey or Killiney along the coast (about 30 minutes). 
Dalkey is a pretty village and Killiney has a nice easy walk up a hill  with spectacular views of Dublin bay.

To go to Newgrange (the prehistoric site) or Glendalough (Wicklow, round tower etc)”

I also really want to check out Malahide Castle (see the link for info here). Which is a short daytrip from Dublin.

Keep checking facebook for more photos! Some of our friends will be sending us some form their cameras so I will post them as soon as I get them.

Hope you all have like the postcards!

Until next time…

3 Responses to Life in Grenoble

1.   sage

So glad to get an update!!! I really like that you’re giving “mini yoga classes” :)))) Everything sounds great esp. your upcoming spring break trip!!! Hopefully our next skype (on valentine’s day, same time) will be a better connection!!! (oh, to spend valentine’s in france!)

2.   Dad

Love your updates and you too… Glad to hear you are making the most of your experience. That’s all that really matters, along with my logic based but largely not-worth-worry about OCD issues. But I know you’re smart and my worries are probably overblown at best,

I love you and know you and Megan will make the most out of traveling experiences. There’s an opportunity to do a small amount of importing of watches, etc too….or other commodities. Don’t pass it up, it’s worth hiring a border broker and paying the tariffs and duty or whatever. Drink water and eat well.

3.   sage

checked out the links you posted for malta & dublin. Malta is ancient! and dublin, well, i think you’re really going to be in for a treat. drop me a line if you can before you go, otherwise, safe & happy travels