Positano – Amalfi coast

by allisonf ~ June 10th, 2011. Filed under: Uncategorized.

June 7th – 7 pm

hostel entrance

Arrived at Hostel Brikette, which is perched at the top of Positano. Cosimo (the front desk guy) immediately offered to carry my bag up the stairs…I knew this would be an awesome place once I saw the view from the veranda. I immediately booked another night ;). I stayed in an 8 person dorm, met a heck of a lot of Canadians…even about 5 from Vancouver! This night we all (staff included) partied on the deck.

Hostel Brikette sundeck

June 8th

Beach

After hearing a lot of stories the previous night of travel and Positano, I was itching to get down to the beach and explore. After a great breakfast courtesy of Ashley, I headed down the 700 stairs, stopping way too often to snap a photo of the endless views. Went to the more private beach and rented sun chairs. Halfway through the afternoon I went to one of the alimentary (grocery stores…which are super small and run by families), explained to the woman that I was going to buy ingredients to have a salad on the beach. Hearing this she offered to make it for me, and proceeded to concoct the most delicious salad ever. The service here is amazing. Later that day we hiked back up the 700 stairs to the hostel when I discovered I had no cash left and the only ATM’s are in the center (i.e.: at the bottom of the 700 stairs)…so down I go again. Took the bus back up though, with gelato in hand.

That evening, even more Canadians arrived…2 of the girls and I found out we all live within about a 5 block radius from each other, one of them goes to UBC, the other is great friends with my one of my best friends at UVIC!! It was cool to meet each other in Positano!!! This night we had an epic sized drinking game of King’s Cup. After everyone could barely leave the table, we decided to hike down the 700 stairs to go to the only club in Positano, called Music on the Rocks. It is a really sweet club in a cave on the water…highly expensive though. The hike back was not the best, let me tell you.

King's Cup

Ashley, Cosimo, and I

June 9th

hostel sun deck wake up - doesn't get much better

Beach time again…too windy to take the cruise to Capri and Anacapri…but this meant the ultimate waves for bodysurfing. I have not had this much fun in a long time, we were screaming like children. Had lunch at one of the café’s on the beach. On my way back up I ate peaches and apricots right off the trees…really cannot complain about the stairs now. I bought a fresh canoli from the unbelievably popular ristorante across from the hostel, filled with the best lemon ricotta whipped cream and marscapone I will probably ever have in my life. Kept it pretty mellow this night, quite tired from all the sun, chatted and slept.

Positano - looking North

June 10th

centro

Because I was leaving Positano at about 12 to head to Naples to catch the train to the Veneto, I just had a quick breakfast and headed into the centre to buy a bikini, why you ask? The bikini was invented in Positano apparently, so what better souvenir than that. I got lucky and Cosimo was driving to Salerno (where I took the circumvesuvius, which is sort of like the sky train, to Naples) and I got to get a ride with him. Whoa nelly, this ride was intense…narrow winding roads, endless streams of mopeds, motorbikes, and tour busses, made for an adrenaline filled ride.

Positano

Currently on the train to Roma, where I take another to Padova, then one more to Castelfranco Veneto. Here Paolo will pick me up, and I will finally get to stay with relatives and in the same place for one week. Laundry will be one of the first things I do.

Positano was positively amazing. The hostel and the people I met there made it unforgettable. I met 2 girls from Quebec who have travelled multiple times all over Europe, and they said hands down, this is the best hostel they have ever encountered. So to anyone who is planning on going to S. Italy: make at least a 4 night stay in Hostel Brikette, Positano!

I will definitely be back to Positano, maybe by then I will be staying in one of the million villas, guesthouses, or hotels, but I will never forget the hostel…so sappy, but it’s true, and it’s rare to find a hostel like that.

3 Responses to Positano – Amalfi coast

1.   Blair Franko

Wow so glad you got to have such an amazing experience, aren’t you glad you included Positano now, I sure am. Sounds like one of the best times ever and I thought it was tied for 1st place for your best blog update so far Love Dad xoxo

2.   carrera sunglasses

I hope you have a nice day! Good article, well written, very thought out. I look forward to your articles more time in the future.

3.   Amalfi coast

I think this is a great blog, and the information about a hostel in Positano is very useful. Well done. 🙂