Le Gare Lyon, le train a Grenoble, et Auberges de Jeunesse hostel

by allisonf ~ January 3rd, 2011. Filed under: Uncategorized.

Bonjour,

So on Sunday morning (Janvier deuxieme) megan and I hoarded all the food we could at the breakfast buffet again at Touring hotel in Paris. We then made sure we had everything and called a cab to take us from the hotel to the train station.

The woman at the front desk called it for us. But little did we know that cabs in paris start charging from the second they receive the call! Luckily we didn’t take too long hauling all of our luggage down and into the tiny cab…the rate was already 10.5 euros before we even started driving. Luckily it was a quick ride to the station and the fee was only 16.8 euros total. We got lucky and he didn’t charge us for baggage.

Le Gare Lyon

Train station was super cold, our train was 20 minutes late and we were excessively early as per usual. Anyways, when the train got there we scrambled, I to the front (1st class, got lucky) and megan , well, megan was in the last car. Put it this way, we both had completely different experiences of the train. I loved the pictureque french countryside 🙂

the French Countryside en route from Paris to Grenoble

We are so happy to be in Grenoble. Fresh air, mountains, tap water we can actually drink! And the people here are a lot nicer than in paris, even though we speak english. We took a cab from the station to the hostel which cost about the same as the first cab. The cab driver was very nice and complimented us on our french (shocking)!

We got to the hostel around 3:30 pm on Sunday. I asked if we could upgrade to a private (2 bed) dorm. And the woman at the desk replied only for couples, so what did I promptly say? Megan is my girlfriend haha. Who knows if they actually believe us, but they didn’t argue. So now we have a private room for no extra charge. It costs about 20 euros per night here with a free breakfast. We have a private bathroom, sink, and shower. 🙂

Of course we are starving by this time and so go to l’epicerie (grocery) a pres du hostel. It’s closed. So we go back to the hostel and get info on how to take the bus to le centre ville in search of nourishment. We did take the bus downtown, and walked around the freezing cold looking for places that looked tasty and open. Ended up back at the hotel around 7:30 pm

We had a good sleep and a good breakfast. Just showered and are now in the lobby of the hostel on their free wireless. We are about to depart to the university to get housing info among other things. Also we may get a cell phone plan today. Hopefully we have some success in one department or the other.

Au Revoir!

5 Responses to Le Gare Lyon, le train a Grenoble, et Auberges de Jeunesse hostel

1.   Filipa

Holla Chica! .. or Bonjour madamoiselle hahaha forgot you were in France. jk jk

Miss you lots, hope you had an amazing New Years! Fill me up on all the dirty dirty Parisian stories .. you know my email.

xoxoxo my petit amie

2.   Shaylee

The French wouldn’t question a lesbian relationship! And you probably made her too embarassed for assuming you weren’t together, that she won’t ask any more questions! Good call on that one. Just throw in a couple “ma cherie” ‘s when you speak to Megan in front of them and you’ll be all good 🙂

3.   Connor

Nice trickery there, getting a better room! Honestly, who wouldn’t say they were a couple in order to get the perks that you two got?

4.   Argelia Swenceski

Très belle destination, j’espère pouvoir y aller l’année prochaine en couple

5.   Huey Entsminger

You make some good points. I guess it depends on your standpoint. If only God would give me some clear sign! Like making a large deposit in my name in a Swiss bank. Woody Allen Born 1935