Module 3.2 – Manitoba First Nations Education Resource Centre

I have chosen to focus my research on the use or lack of Aboriginal pedagogies in higher education (specifically undergraduate medical education) in Canada, but I am interested in examining the landscape for use of Aboriginal pedagogies in education, full stop.  My first graduate degree focused on health information provided to Manitoba First Nation communities, and to Inuit communities in the Circumpolar Health Region (which is served by Manitoba Health and the University of Manitoba) and I used to work with Manitoba Health to support Northern Medical Officers of Health, so I have a more substantial familiarity with the Manitoban landscape.

I was interested to learn of the Manitoba First Nations Education Resource Centre which provides “second and third level education services” to first nation schools.  I think this site and the resources shared there could be a great resource for any teacher hoping to integrate more content on First Nation, Aboriginal, Metis, Inuit or other Indigenous content into their courses, because it was created by FN instructors in conjunction with FN groups.  This resource fills a gap that many of us recognize in the education sector.