The Paradox of Virtual Teams

Everything just so happens to be going on at the same time. Recently, just after wrapping up on the Fantasy Project, I started to focus on my marketing project for Comm 296. As everyone knows, there are certain fears you feel about before getting into a team like “are we going to work cohesively?”, “are we going to get along?”, “is she/he going to put in the effort?”, or questions like “I hope there aren’t any freeloaders”. I like how I’m able to look at the two teams I’m in and compare what’s effective and working out and what could be improved to help us succeed.

I noticed that the clear distinction between my two teams is that in Comm 292, we’re able to become good friends through a project meanwhile my Comm 296 is purely a temporary group that rarely talks regarding matters other than our common goal: the marketing project. This meant that a took a way longer time for us to become productive because no one was willing to start the conversation.

The punctuated-equilibrium model in Chapter 6 (1) was constantly in my mind because it is essentially a time-line for a team’s performance. I think it’s a really important aspect to look at during team evaluation because it allows each team member to see individually what they could do in their part to shorten phase 1 and contribute in ways to help the team be move to a more productive phase.

My Comm 292 team members are definitely more  cooperrative and our phase 1 was rather short. We were able to transition quickly because of how well we understood each other. Up until this point, I cannot think of any negative comments to say about each individual member or my team as a whole. The success I can identify in my Comm 292 group is that we have a trusting relationship, in which was formed through the fantasy project. In comparison to Comm 296, I had to take on a leader role, or else there would’ve been no progress and no contact for a whole week.

Since each of my projects are split into several parts, it will be more effective to continuously come back to the model evaluation.

1. Langton, Robbins, Judge, Organizational Behaviour, 7th edition, p. 216.