[05.01] Teaching Ozobots

Robotics and Coding

Within the new BC curriculum, Applied Design, Skills and Technologies is a section in the elementary/middle years that focuses on the design, creation, and utilization of various technologies in the world. My role in this project is to plan a lesson for Grade 7 around the use of OZOBOTS – highly compact devices tht are often used to integrate coding, robotics components and problem solving skills into the classroom. Ozobots use light, sound, motors, proximity sensors and optical sensors to communicate and interact with the environment.

A lot of the prep that I had done for this lesson includes testing and familiarizing with the technology. Organizing these resources were a priority for me, as I believe that this investment should be maintained in good condition for many classes to come.

Using pre-programmed code to explore the specific and directional nature of coding, students are able to grow in their understanding of input and output.

Ozobots also have remote-control functionality, and block-code program-ability through Ozoblockly.com.