Minutes from November 4th, 2013 Meeting

LASSA Minutes 11-04-13

Library and Archival Studies Student Association
2013-2014 School Year Meeting #5
Date: November 4, 2013
Time:12:00-13:00
Location: SUB 212
In attendance:
Grace Romund (MLIS Co-President)
Kate Clayborne (Secretary)
Sheena Campbell (Events Coordinator)
Mitchell Meler (GSS Representative)
Inti Dewey (GSS Representative)
Maria Paraschos (MAS Member-at-Large)
Matthew Murray (Webmaster)
Helen Halbert (AMS Representative)
Jordan Hatt (Treasurer)
Tracy Leung (Faculty of Arts Representative)
Adena Brons (Dual Member-at-Large)
Nicole Askin
Regrets (Excused):
Stephanie Dror (MACL Member-at-Large)
Michael Wynne (MLIS Member-at-Large
Sehdeep Kaur (MLIS First Year Rep)
Absent:
____________________________________________________________
Meeting called to order by Grace at 12:03 PM.
1. Approval of Minutes
A. Adena’s name was moved to the “Regrets” list.
B. A link to the AMS outreach website was added.
C. It was noted that Helen has sent out an Eventbrite invitation for the NCSU session.
D. Kate caught a few typos upon rereading; they have been corrected.
Approval moved by Adena, seconded by Inti. Motion passes.
2. Halloween Party Debrief
A. The party has been met with positive reviews and deemed a successful effort for community
engagement.
B. No official attendance numbers were taken, but based on a casual head-count at least 60 people
were present.
C. The alcohol budget was exceeded, but other expenses were kept low enough that the event as a
whole came in under-budget.
D. Sheena:
a. The party will hopefully become an annual tradition. Decorations have been saved,
which will cut future costs.
b.Prizes are yet to be distributed from costume & trivia contests. This will be done in the
near future.
3. LASSA Executive Positions
A. Faculty of Arts Rep
a. We are seeking a replacement for this position, as Tracy will be moving to Calgary
for her co-op in January.
b. Grace nominates Sehdeep Kaur. All in favour, none opposed. Sehdeep will become
Faculty of Arts Rep.
B. MLIS First Year Rep
a.Sehdeep will be stepping down as First Year Rep as by credit count she is no longer a
First Year.
b.Adena nominates Nicole Askin. All in favour, none opposed. Nicole will become
MLIS First Year Rep.
C. Events Coordinator
a.Sheena Gardner has inquired into re-joining LASSA as Events Co-Coordinator.
Sheena Campbell would welcome the assistance. Voting did not occur at this meeting.
4. Upcoming Events
A. NCSU Info Session (Helen)
a.The session is taking place this Thursday, November 7, at 11:30 AM in the Trail
Room. RSVP numbers have gone up since last meeting.
b.Helen is budgeting $120 for food & beverages. As SLAIS has offered to cover
catering for the event, she will speak with Dan about funding.
c.The event is for MLIS or Dual students graduating between Sept ’13 and August ’14,
but other students are welcome to attend the info session.
B. January Orientation
a. Orientation will be held Monday, January 6, 2014, from 12-1:30 PM.
b. Sheena has booked Thea’s Lounge for this time.
c. Grace will purchase pizza & pop as usual.
d. Grace will send a reminder email to the LASSA exec and execs of student sub-groups
asking for volunteers.
C. End of Term Potluck
a.The potluck will be held November 29, 5-7 PM, in the SLAIS Lounge.
b.The SLAIS office has volunteered to obtain the liquor license.
c.Melissa Nightingale and Sheena Gardner have their Serving-It-Right certificates.
5. Communication Issues
A. The listserv used as a direct line of communication between SLAIS and the student body was
disbanded by request of the previous LASSA exec, as per the wishes of students at the time.
a.The plan was for students to regularly look at the SLAIS Blog/Connect Portal for
important SLAIS news.
B. Student opinion on the matter seems to have shifted with new cohorts.
a.The Connect Portal can be difficult to find, and can be impossible to use during
Connect’s frequent downtime.
b.The most recent cohort was not made aware of the importance of the Blog/Portal as an
info source.
C. The LASSA email list is currently the best line of communication to the student body.
a.This list is opt-in and only reaches a small portion of SLAIS students.
D. Possible Solutions:
a.A stronger push for new students to sign up for the LASSA list, particularly at the
January Orientation. The list will be brought directly to new students, rather than
waiting for them to sign up at the same time they do for sub-group lists.
b.Direct communication from SLAIS
i. Students may be more open to receiving emails from SLAIS administration if
they are kept to announcements about SLAIS itself, such as policy changes,
rather than about jobs or events. This would keep the amount of emails from
becoming overwhelming.
E. For now, if students would like to bring issues to SLAIS, they should contact Melissa
Nightingale (slais.program@ubc.ca).
F. LASSA recommends that SLAIS send an email to the student body at large letting them know
of Melissa’s position.
6. Other Business
A. Finance Request (Jordan)
a.ALPS has requested a $74 reimbursement for their Getting Hired in Higher Education
panel, held last week.
i. Last year LASSA provided $94 in funding for the panel.
ii. According to the LASSA Policy & Procedure Manual, sub-groups must apply
for funding and give a presentation at a LASSA meeting. The application will
then be voted on.
iii. The exec will give ALPS the opportunity to make a retroactive presentation at
the next meeting. Jordan will email the ALPS reps to inform them of this
decision.
B. PEP Survey
a.The formation of a committee will be discussed at the next meeting, so that work on
the survey can commence with the beginning of Winter Term II.
Meeting was adjourned by Grace at 12:55 PM.

Posted in Meetings, minutes | Leave a comment

Minutes from October 28th, 2013 Meeting

LASSA Minutes 10-28-13

Library and Archival Studies Student Association
2013-2014 School Year Meeting #4
Date: October 28, 2013
Time:12:00-13:00
Location: SUB 212
In attendance:
Kate Clayborne (Secretary)
Sheena Campbell (Events Coordinator)
Mitchell Meler (GSS Representative)
Inti Dewey (GSS Representative)
Maria Paraschos (MAS Member-at-Large)
Matthew Murray (Webmaster)
Stephanie Dror (MACL Member-at-Large)
Helen Halbert (AMS Representative)
Sehdeep Kaur (MLIS First Year Representative)
Michael Wynne (MLIS Member-at-Large)
Kelsey Ockert
Matthew Root
Regrets (Excused):
Tracy Leung (Faculty of Arts Representative)
Grace Romund (MLIS Co-President)
Jordan Hatt (Treasurer)
Adena Brons (Dual Member-at-Large)
Absent:
____________________________________________________________
Meeting called to order by Sheena at 12:05 PM.
1. Approval of Minutes
A. No revisions were requested.
Approval moved by Matthew, seconded by Inti. Motion passed.
2. Accreditation Luncheon Event Report
A. Generally positive feedback. However, while all Committee members were able to get meals,
there were not enough for all students.
B. Further discussion is tabled until Grace is present.
3. AMS Report
A. Kelsey attended on meeting as a proxy for Helen.
a.AMS is encouraging each department to begin using their website for outreach:
http://www.outreachams.ca/
b.Committees are being formed for various tasks regarding the new SUB building,
including a logo redesign.
B. Helen:
a. Due to the recent sexual assaults on campus, SafeWalk is extending service hours and
preparing for increased use. Until at least next week, they will be operating from 8:00
PM – 4:00 AM.
b. Upcoming referendum committee being formed. There is a position available for a
student-at-large member. Helen will send an email to Dan to advertise.
4. GSS Report (Mitchell & Inti)
A. The UBC Centre for Excellence for Aboriginal Health is looking to establish connections
between researchers and Aboriginal communities. There will possibly by job opportunities for
SLAIS students. Students can contact Mitchell for further information.
B. CITR has a recording studio available for audio work with sound technicians.
C. The University is planning to rezone half of what is currently Acadia Park for new non-student
housing. The situation is ongoing.
D. The UPass transition to the Compass Card will be happening in early 2014.
E. Alliance of BC Students: an association that any student society can join for lobbying
purposes.
F. Koerner’s Pub is now open.
G. Inti will forward meeting minutes to anyone who is interested.
5. Upcoming Events
A. Halloween Party (Sheena)
a.In the event of serving alcohol, IDs will be checked at the door & wrist bands handed
out. 8 students will be needed to work the ID stations (2 students for each one-hour
shift).
b. In light of the recent sexual assaults on campus, attendees will be encouraged to leave
the party in groups and/or call SafeWalk.
i. SafeWalk posters will be placed by the entrance/exit to provide the hours and
contact information.
c.Sheena will be checking on the status of the liquor license this afternoon.
B. NCSU Info Session (Helen)
a.The NCSU representatives will be at SLAIS to hold an info session about their
fellowship program on November 7, from 11-3 PM.
b.Currently 7 people are registered and 1 person has arranged for an individual meeting.
c.The success of this event will impact whether NCSU is willing to send people to speak
with future cohorts about the program.
d.SLAIS is paying for refreshments. Help is needed to set up/clean up.
e.Helen will resend the Eventbrite invitation and begin other promotion after the
Halloween party.
6. Communication Issues
A. Tabled until next meeting.
7. New Business
A. Stephanie: The MACL Conference is planning to request money. Tabled until the Treasurer &
President are present.
B. If anyone has questions/concerns for the curriculum committee, please contact Michael.
a.Helen would like more widespread information and guidance for the HCI stream.
Michael will take this to the committee.
C. The next meeting will take place on November 4, 2013.
Meeting was adjourned by Sheena at 12:40 PM.

Posted in Meetings | Leave a comment

Minutes from October 7th meeting.

Here are the minutes from our meeting on October 7th.

LASSA Minutes 10-7-13

Library and Archival Studies Student Association
2013-2014 School Year Meeting #3

Date: October 7, 2013
Time:12:00-13:00
Location: SUB 212

In attendance:
Grace Romund (MLIS Co-President)
Kate Clayborne (Secretary)
Mitchell Meler (GSS Representative)
Maria Paraschos (MAS Member-at-Large)
Matthew Murray (Webmaster)
Adena Brons (Dual Member-at-Large)
Stephanie Dror (MACL Member-at-Large)
Helen Halbert (AMS Representative)
Sehdeep Kaur (MLIS First Year Representative)
Jordan Hatt (Treasurer)
Kimberly Garmoe
Kelsey Ockert
Nicole Askin
Anna Ferri
Matthew Root

Regrets (Excused):
Michael Wynne (MLIS Member-at-Large)
Inti Dewey (GSS Representative)

Absent:
Sheena Campbell
____________________________________________________________

Meeting called to order by Grace at 12:00 PM.

1. AMS Report (Helen Halbert)
A. AMS Vice Presidential By-Election
a. There will be a debate October 8th at 1:30 in the Pit. Voting will begin Wednesday, October 9th, and run through Friday, October 11th.
B. AMS, the SASC, and the Commerce Undergrad Society will be hosting a dialogue regarding the chant used during Sauder’s Frosh activities. It will be held October 24th from 7:30 – 9:30 in IKBC.

2. Approval of Minutes
A. The spelling of Adena’s name has been corrected.
Approval moved by Matthew and seconded by Adena. Motion passed.

3. GSS Report (Kathryn Rowswell)
A. Former GSS Representative Kathryn Rowswell emailed her report of the September 19th meeting.
a. GSS Records & Archives Room
i. GSS is working to establish policies for management of vital & inactive  records this fall.
ii. Inactive records have been moved to the GSS Records & Archives Room.
iii. GSS may be hiring a records manager or archivist in the near future. GSS Rep Mitchell Meler will keep abreast of the situation.
b. GSS hopes to bring together its various clubs through luncheons or dinners.
c. The graduate pub remains closed, and most likely will not open for a few months pending licensing.

4. Treasurer Report (Jordan Hatt)
A. To provide the $50 given by LASSA to each subgroup each year, AMS requires verification from two exec members other than Jordan and Grace. Signatures were provided by Mitchell and Kate.
B. Reimbursement for Grace’s printing is approved. Signatures were provided by Mitchell and Kate.

5. Upcoming Events
A. Accreditation Luncheon
a. The luncheon will be held on Monday, October 21, at 12:00 PM in SUB room 209.
b. 15 people have responded to the EventBrite invitation sent out through the LASSA listserv. The goal is to have at least 40 attendees.
B. Halloween Party
a. Tabled until Sheena is available for discussion.
C. End of Term Potluck
a. The potluck will be held November 29th from 5:00 – 7:00 PM at SLAIS. Someone must volunteer to serve alcohol. Paperwork must be completed 18 calendar days prior to the event.
i. Matthew volunteers to obtain his Serving It Right certificate.
D. January Orientation
a. Orientation will take place on January 6, 2014, at 12:00 PM in Thea’s Lounge.
i. Sheena has taken care of room booking. She is looking into possible reimbursement for the room, as all GSS clubs are entitled to book space in the GSS building.
b. Further planning will occur via email, as many of the exec will be out of town following the end of term.
E. Grad Photo Coordination
a. Coordination of grad portraits is one of LASSA’s annual responsibilities. Grace will speak with Mary Grenier for further details, and the topic will be returned to at a later date.
F. NCSU Internship Information Session
a. North Carolina State University would like to hold an information session for SLAIS students regarding their two-year post-graduate internship program. They originally contacted the SLAIS administration, who forwarded the possibility on to LASSA.
b. Helen has volunteered to coordinate this with the NCSU representatives.
c. The event would be held the week of either October 28th or November 4th.

6. Meeting Space at SLAIS
A. Following several conversations regarding the difficulty of reserving meeting space at SLAIS,
Grace brought the topic to Mary Grenier.
a. Trail Room
i. The Trail Room is now booked for ten hours every Wednesday as meeting space for the InterPARES Project.
• SLAIS has guaranteed the InterPARES Project 10 consecutive hours of meeting space as their sponsorship contribution to the project.
• The project’s decision to use Wednesday for their meeting time has caused difficulty for SLAIS student groups, as Wednesday is the busiest day at the school and thus when most student groups prefer to hold their own meetings.
• Mary is attempting to renegotiate meeting days with the InterPARES Project.
b. Grieg Room
i. Use of the Grieg Room is tied up due to requirements left in the bequest that enabled its construction.
• The Facilities Committee is currently attempting to rewrite the access policy to allow more use while staying within the bounds of the bequest.
• Grace will request that students obtain access to the policy as it currently stands.

7. Facilities Committee
A. LASSA needs a representative for the Facilities Committee. The committee meets approximately three times a year. The next meeting will be Thursday, October 10th, at 1:00 PM in the Trail Room. Interested exec members should contact Grace.

8. Collaboration Between Student Groups
A. Upcoming Meeting of the Chairs
a. A Meeting of the Chairs will be held Thursday, October 10th, at 5 PM. Nearly all chairs of SLAIS student groups will be in attendance.
b. There is a possibility for similar meetings to be held at least once a semester, in a formal or informal manner, to foster more interaction between student groups.
c. Grace will update the LASSA exec on the outcome of the meeting.

9. Children’s Book Conference (Stephanie Dror)
A. The conference, put on every two years by MACL, will be held May 3rd and 4th of 2014.
B. For ease of booking and paperwork, the conference committee has in the past created a club within AMS every two years. AMS has recommended they become an ongoing LASSA subgroup.
a. Steph motioned that the conference planning committee become a LASSA club. Matthew seconded. All in favour. Motion passed.
b. Steph, Jordan, and Grace will be in contact to formalize the creation of a subgroup. Steph will continue to keep LASSA updated on the conference activities.

10. Student-Administration Relationship (Kimberly Garmoe)
A. The recent announcement from the SLAIS administration about a partial replacement of computers in the SLAIS computer labs has set off a wider conversation regarding student satisfaction with the school and the administration. B. Kimberly has done an analysis of this conversation as expressed on Facebook. She sees an overwhelmingly negative trend in attitude toward the school, and in particular has noted concern about the department’s attitude towards its students. She attempted to contact the SLAIS administration with her concerns and recommendations, and was told to bring them to LASSA.
a. She recommends a formal investigation into the school’s needs, including technology, with involvement from both students and faculty.
b. Overall, she notes a need for more student involvement in school decisions, including those related to facilities.
c. She recommends building stronger relationships between faculty and students; particularly, more faculty involvement and support in students’ professional lives is needed. As students move through the program quite quickly, the department tends to be very stratified.
d. She recommends that the quality of coursework be improved, so that students are more invested in their studies and more satisfied with the outcome of their education.
e. The issue of large class sizes was brought up as being detrimental to the student experience.
C. Due to time constraints, this conversation will be continued at a later date, possibly via email.

11. Other Business
A. Adena raised the issue of PEP surveys. She and Michael would be interested in participating in exploratory work towards the surveys. This will be further discussed at a later date.
B. Grace continues working with Mary Grenier and Melissa Nightingale to create a form for students to get in touch with SLAIS administration.
C. Matthew contacted Susie about the computer updates situation and was given a response with more detail than was included in the original announcement. He will forward this to the LASSA exec, and ask Susie’s permission to share the information with the larger SLAIS listserv.

Meeting was adjourned by Grace at 12:50 PM.

Posted in Meetings, minutes | Leave a comment

Halloween Party Details! Wednesday, October 30th, 7pm

Where: Thea’s Lounge at Koerner House
When: Wednesday, October 30th, 7pm
8pm: Trivia Contest
9pm: Games, dancing, and frights!
10pm: Costume contest!

Prizes for winners of trivia and costume contests!

Food, beverages, and entertainment are provided.

Remember: Bring your ID!

Guests are welcome.

Register on the eventbrite: http://lassahalloweenparty.eventbrite.ca/

Posted in Announcements | Leave a comment

Halloween Party, October 30th, 7pm

 

The LASSA Halloween party is coming! Wednesday, October 30th, 7pm at Thea’s Lounge!

Posted in Announcements | Leave a comment

Minutes from the September 23rd meeting

LASSA Minutes 9-23-13

2013-2014 School Year Meeting #2
Date: September 23, 2013
Time:12:00-13:00
Location: SUB 212

In attendance:
Grace Romund (MLIS Co-President)
Kate Clayborne (Secretary)
Mitchell Meler (GSS Representative)
Maria Paraschos (MAS Member-at-Large)
Tracey Leung (Faculty of Arts Representative)
Matthew Murray (Webmaster)
Adena Brons (Dual Member-at-Large)
Stephanie Dror (MACL Member-at-Large)
Michael Wynne (MLIS Member-at-Large)
Helen Halbert (AMS Representative)
Sheena Campbell (Events Coordinator)
Jordan Hatt (Treasurer)
Inti Dewey
Nicole Askin
Kelsey Ockert

Regrets (Excused):
Kathryn Rowswell (GSS Rep)
Roohie Kaur (First Year Rep)

Absent:
None
____________________________________________________________

Meeting called to order by Grace at 12:03 PM.

1. Signing of AMS Waiver
A. All organizations are required to have at least ten people to sign an AMS waiver to prove their existence; the waiver was signed by all present

2. Regrets, Attendance, and Maintenance of Positions
A. Brianna Gormly has stepped down as MAS Rep, and will be replaced by Maria Paraschos
B. Kathryn Rowswell will be replaced as co-GSS Rep by Inti Dewey, as Kathryn is graduating in November
C. It is requested that members of the exec do not change their positions from this point on, and let Grace know if they will be graduating before April

3. Approval of Minutes From Last Meeting
A. Amendment: corrected spelling of Roohie Kaur’s name.
Helen motions, Adena seconds. All in favour, none opposed. The motion passed.

4. Follow up from Orientation A. Grace created an FAQ sheet listing resources related to LASSA, which was handed out to the core classes.

5. Follow up from TRC events
A. General approval of SLAIS/LASSA activity at TRC events.
a. A large number of SLAIS students and faculty attended the Walk for Reconciliation,
and had an “enjoyable and moving morning.”

6. Accreditation Luncheon
A. According to Grace, the external review panel will be visiting SLAIS for two days, October 21 and 22. It is made up of six individuals from various universities and organizations in the US and Canada. They will speak with faculty, staff, and students and possibly visit a number of classes. Grace has a copy of their itinerary. More information about the panellists will be available on posters in SLAIS.
B. On October 21 at 11:45, there will be an invitational meeting in the Chilcotin room for the panel to meet with “student leaders.” These student leaders will be members of the student group execs, invited and selected by SLAIS administration.
C. This meeting will be followed by a 12:00-1:00 meeting open to all SLAIS students in SUB 209. There will be a brown-bag lunch provided.
a. As it is regarding ALA accreditation, MLIS students are our biggest attendance
concern.
b. SLAIS will take care of room reservations and the lunch. They have asked LASSA to
promote.
i. The event will be advertised on the digital screens at SLAIS, on the whiteboard, on various Facebook pages, and over the LASSA email listserv.
ii. Grace will put out an eventbrite
iii. First year students will speak to their classmates during core classes.
c. Is this our responsibility? Will is not just divide attention/attendance from the lunch?
Would anyone even show up?
d. Sheena recommends that this be summed up as an email.
D. SLAIS would like us to set up an information session prior to the visit so that Edie & Caroline can speak with students and explain what is expected of them.
a. Concerns:
i. Is this LASSA’s responsibility?
ii. Will it not divide attention and/or attendance from the actual meeting?
iii. Sheena recommends that the information be summed up and sent in an email to the LASSA listserv along with the announcement of the luncheon meeting
E. The LASSA meeting for that day will need to be rescheduled
a. A replacement date will be determined in the future
F. There will be more information about the meeting with the panel and the accreditation process in general at the next LASSA meeting

7. Lines of Communication with SLAIS
A. Grace met with Mary Grenier
a. Regarding the International Libraries class:
i. Students felt it reflected poorly on SLAIS as a WISE course. Mary was receptive to the criticism and agreed to actively work towards changes. She spoke with Susie, who will pass the criticism on to the professor.
b. Mary and Melissa Nightingale have been working with Grace to create a form letter which will be available through the SLAIS website so that students can make a formalized complaint prior to end-of-term evaluations. Students are free to email the office at any time with their concerns, but this will provide a formalized and streamlined way to do so.

8. Follow up on PEP Surveys
A. Mary Grenier has asked whether, if SLAIS is not able to put any recommendations arising from PEP surveys into place immediately, would the process simply create more
discontentment?
a. The question remains whether this is a worthwhile way for LASSA exec members to
spend their time.
b. Is the Director’s Forum already an adequate avenue for airing issues students may
have? Will increasing the avenues of feedback make a difference if none of them are being acted upon?
i. While the Director’s Forum is not officially documented and end-of-term evaluations are not public, a written survey will provide documentation and hard facts with which LASSA can argue on behalf of the student body.
ii. Even if recommendations are not immediately acted upon, this will provide a record of any patterns of discontentment across cohorts which do need to be addressed.
B. Rick Kopak was largely involved in them before, Mary recommends speaking with him.
C. Michael suggests we do an exploratory, a shorter exploratory survey and decide whether to move forward depending on those results.
a. Grace puts forward the idea of each LASSA exec member doing person-to-person questioning of a small number of students, bringing the answers back to the exec.
b. There is also the possibility of a SurveyMonkey survey.

9. AMS Representative Report
A. Helen: There are no AMS updates that are relevant to SLAIS students.
a. Helen needs a proxy for the October 9th meeting. Exec members are asked to email Grace or Helen to volunteer.

10. GSS Representative Report
A. Mitchell & Inti: a social is planned to bring the grad students from various faculties together, possibly at Koerner’s Pub in the GSS building. More information will follow.
B. There is some debate over funding for holding events within the GSS building. Funding beyond what organizations are initially allocated, but only for events held within the building.
That funding is available for LASSA but has never been used. $3 per person is available for programs over 250 people.
a. Could this funding be put towards LASSA orientation activities, which are already held in the GSS building every fall and winter?
i. Mitchell & Inti will look into it.

11. New Business
A. SLAIS Halloween party?
a. As October 30th is a Wednesday, many students will already be on campus. Sheena
will look into a funding request to hold the party in the GSS building.
B. Treasurer’s Report
a. Grace’s spending for orientation is approved for reimbursement. Sheena and Michael signed the receipts.
b. All sub-groups will receive their $50 funding for the year. Jordan has received their budgets for the year.
c. LASSA currently has about $2500 available. We will be receiving cheque for our portion of student fees from the SLAIS office in a few weeks.
d. LASSA will be giving sponsorships to the MACL conference and the ACA conference in the spring.
e. Jordan would like to know who the treasurers are for the sub-groups.
C. Sheena would like to do a monthly get-together for a pub quiz. Possibly at the Cove. The suggestion was met with approval. She will keep us updated.

Meeting was adjourned by Grace at 1:00 PM.

Posted in Meetings, minutes | Tagged | Leave a comment

Accreditation External Review Panel Luncheon

All SLAIS students (particularly those in the MLIS or Dual programs) are invited to attend the ALA Accreditation external review luncheon with student on Monday, October 21st at 12pm. This luncheon is a part of the ALA accreditation process that SLAIS is undergoing right now to re-accredit the MLIS program with ALA for the next 7 year period. This luncheon gives those on the external review panel a chance to interact with the students of SLAIS.

If you plan on attending please register! (Although if you don’t get a chance to register please still attend!)

LUNCH WILL BE PROVIDED

If you have special dietary requirements (vegan, gluten-free, photosynthesis, etc.) we can accommodate. Please include your requirement on the eventbrite page.

When: Monday, October 21st, 12:00-1:00pm
Where: Student Union Building (SUB) #209

If you have any problems email us at lassa.ubc@gmail.com and let us know.

 

Posted in Announcements | Leave a comment

LASSA at the TRC Walk for Reconciliation

This past Sunday was the Truth and Reconciliation Commission Walk for Reconciliation, and despite the rain several representatives from LASSA made it out!

(Photo, L-R: Kelsey Ockert, Grace Romund, Inti Dewey, Monica Swamiraj.)

The walk featured a keynote from Dr. Bernice A. King, daughter of Dr. Martin Luther King, live entertainment, storytelling, song and dance, and more!

Posted in Events | Leave a comment

September 9th Meeting Minutes

Here are the minutes from the September 9th meeting.

LASSA Minutes 9-9-13

Library and Archival Studies Student Association

2013-2014 School Year Meeting #1
Date: September 9, 2013
Time:12:00-13:00
Location: SUB 212
In attendance:
Grace Romund (MLIS Co-President)
Kate Clayborne (Secretary)
Matthew Murray (Webmaster)
Adena Brons (Dual Member-at-Large)
Michael Wynne (MLIS Member-at-Large)
Sehdeep (Roohie) Kaur (MLIS First Year Rep)
Brianna Gormly (MAS Member-at-Large)
Stephanie Dror (MACL Representative)
Tracy Leung (Faculty of Arts Representative)
Helen Halbert (AMS Representative)
Mitchell Meler (GSS Liason)

Regrets (Excused):

Absent:
Jordan Hatt (Treasurer)
Sheena Campbell (Events Coordinator)

____________________________________________________________

Meeting called to order by Grace at 12:05 PM.

1. Process for Sending Regrets
A. Exec members were reminded that they must send regrets to either Grace or Kate in advance if they are planning to miss a meeting. Per the LASSA Constitution, executive members may have more than three unexcused absences and maintain their good standing.

2. Mailing List Issues
A. Not all members of the exec received the announcement of this meeting. Grace will add the LASSA-exec list to the general LASSA mailing list to ensure this does not happen in future.

3. Approval of Minutes from last meeting
A. Amendment: add Tracy Leung to “Present” list.
All in favour, no objections. Motion passed.

4. Welcome Back from President
A. Summer Update
a. There has been no in-person LASSA activity since March. Fall orientation was planned via email by the exec.

5. Overview of Orientation/Potluck
A. Orientation
a. The Q&A portion of orientation was cancelled due to timing of pizza arrival, leading to a very informal and relaxed event.
b. Grace will speak to core classes this week with a hand-out including resources and contact information in case the new cohorts have questions as the term progresses.
c. Grace will also send an email out to the LASSA list on the topic.

B. Potluck
a. Due to the RCMP placing a hold on liquor license applications for the date of the potluck, SLAIS was unable to obtain a license. As ACA had already planned a pub night to follow the potluck, this was seen as a satisfactory solution and the date of the potluck was not changed.

6. Review of Open Executive Positions
A. The following executive positions are still open: MAS Co-President, MAS First Year Representative, MAS Member-at-Large, PhD Representative.
a. As the PhD Representative position is often open and no PhD students have shown an interest when approached by the LASSA exec, this is not a pressing concern.
b. In light of the lack of representation of MAS students on the exec, these positions will be brought up again to students in the Archives core.
B. The following committees have open student representative positions: Curriculum Committee, Admissions Committee.
a. Grace and Roohie are currently serving on the Accreditation Committee.

7. Nomination for Open Executive Positions
A. Michael Wynne is appointed to the Curriculum Committee, dependent on meeting times.
B. Roohie is appointed to the Admissions Committee, dependent on meeting times.
C. Brianna Gormly nominated for MAS Member-at-Large
a. All in favour, none opposed. Brianna Gormly is elected as MAS Member-at-Large.

8. Program Evaluation Project Survey
A. Grace was contacted by Judy Saltman regarding the accreditation process. As LASSA is an organization independent from SLAIS, our PEP surveys lend credibility to the school.
a. The last PEP survey was completed in 2010-2011 school year. Past surveys are available on our website to view. They have generally been done in the spring, at the end of the academic year.
b. The PEP surveys were put on hold due to the workload involved in putting together the survey and report.
c. There was a call for the formation of a LASSA committee to revisit PEP surveys.
i. Helen put forward the question of whether the survey design and report could be done by a SLAIS student as a Professional Experience project.
ii. General consensus is that it may be worth looking into further. The matter will be revisited at the next LASSA meeting.

9. LASSA 2013-2014 Events
A. Reaccreditation Information Meeting
a. On October 21 in SUB room 209, there will be a panel session and lunch regarding the ALA reaccreditation process. It will be open to all students. More information will be released in future. If the exec receives any questions regarding accreditation, they can refer other students to Grace or Roohie.
B. TRC Events
a. Truth & Reconciliation Commission:
i. Wednesday, September 18th, UBC classes are cancelled for TRC Vancouver events. Lisa has asked for LASSA to coordinate a way for SLAIS students to attend together.
• Grace will contact Lisa as to best times for students to attend during the day.
• Details on this event are available on the TRC Vancouver website.ii. The Walk for Reconciliation will be held Sunday, September 22nd from Queen Elizabeth Plaza to Science World, beginning at 8:30 AM.
• Grace will be registering a SLAIS team, which students can then sign up for. Many departments at UBC are already taking part. There is no cost.
• Grace will make this announcement when she speaks to the core classes as well.
C. LASSA’s Twitter Account
a. LASSA’s account is now being used. Students are encouraged to follow it for updates. (http://twitter.com/LASSA_UBC)
D. Pub Night
a. As the ACA pub night was successful, we may do more. Grace will talk to Sheena about planning.
E. Panel on Publishing & Distribution
a. Proposed by Anna Ferri, ALA Co-President, as joint endeavour with ALA.
i. ALA will be discussing this at their meeting, and we will revisit at a future LASSA meeting.

10. New Business
A. Official Course Feedback
a. Students are wondering if there is a way to give official feedback on courses they are unhappy with prior to end-of-term courses.
i. It was suggested that students speak with their faculty advisors or the ombudsperson for recommendations.
ii. Grace will bring this up at her next meeting with Mary Grenier.
B. MACL Student Conference
a. MACL runs this conference every two years. It will be held in Spring 2014.
b. There will be a meeting Friday, September 13, 2013 at 5 PM to begin planning.
C. HCI at UBC
a. Helen will send information regarding this event to be posted on the calendar.
D. TRC
a. There will be an event led by Lisa Nathan and Kim Lawson of Xwi7xwa Library on September 12th at 10:30 AM in the Dodson Room. They will provide instruction for UBC librarians on answering questions regarding residential schools. SLAIS students are welcome.

Meeting was adjourned by Grace at 12:50.

Posted in Announcements | Tagged | Leave a comment

Potluck!

Here are some photos from our super successful beginning of term potluck! Thanks to everyone for coming out!

We had so many people we couldn’t all fit in the lounge!

Posted in Announcements, Events | Leave a comment