Are tweets meant to be records?

For me, considerations of social media always seem to come back to questions around its place in archives.  One of the biggest concerns for archivists relating to social media is how exactly to go about acquiring and saving posts.  There are issues of ownership, technological concerns, and questions around what else needs to be saved beyond the actual text of posts in order for them to have any value, such as comments and links.

On some social media sites, however, people post not with the intention of creating something that they – or anyone else – will go back and look at in the future (or even the next few days for that matter).  And now there is Snapchat, which brings this presumed ephemeral nature of Twitter into actuality.  There are also scripts available that will automatically delete your tweets after a week (or whatever period of time that you designate).

This leads me to wonder whether or not such posts should ever be considered to be part of a person or organization’s permanent record.  They are often used as just a new form of conversation, after all, and we do not try to archive conversations.  Archives have always collected letters, and one could make the argument that tweets are just a (very) new form of letter writing.  Emails certainly are, but tweets are different.  They are written in a differnt way and for different reasons.

I guess the question I am getting at here is not so much about whether or not tweets could have historical value, but to what degree archivists should consider the intent behind their creation.  If they were intended to be ephemeral, should they remain so?  Of course, libraries and archives already explicitly collect ephemera (for example, the Bodleian Library’s printed ephemera collection with material dating back to 1508), so perhaps this is nothing new!

3 thoughts on “Are tweets meant to be records?

1. Nice piece, Katie. What do you think of the Library of Congress’s decision to archive all of America’s tweets?
    http://www.businessinsider.com/library-of-congress-is-archiving-all-of-americas-tweets-2013-1

As for Canada, this report is a few years old now, but sounds like Library and Archives Canada was at least considering it. Do you know whether this is getting anywhere?
    http://www.govtech.com/e-government/Report-Canada-Looks-to-Archive-Tweets-Other-Social-Media.html

• Thanks Fiona! I have not heard any more about LAC acquiring tweets. Considering the low level of acquisitions in general there the past few years, I doubt that there has been much headway.

The Library of Congress acquisition is an interesting case study in the challenges of archiving social media, as well as a huge collection of born-digital records. One of the biggest challenges they are facing is actually providing access to it. The most up to date information I could find was this 2013 white paper (http://www.loc.gov/today/pr/2013/files/twitter_report_2013jan.pdf), which notes that the massive quantity of data makes searching very difficult. A single search takes 24 hours to execute.

2. One more comment regarding the Library of Congress Twitter collection… When I wrote this blog post, I was thinking more about tweets as one part of a person or organization’s broader archives. What the Library of Congress has is much different, offering snapshots of an entire time period (or periods).