Why I’m doing a Mental Health Week: Day 7

Technically today is Day 9, but I took a couple days off to spend time with family and attend to a bad day of my gastric condition. What I did, and aim to do every day, will stand as the last two thoughts I give to you for my Mental Health Week.

Day 7: It’s okay to put yourself first. It’s okay to be yourself.

We’re well into one of the busiest and most stressful times of year for students: grad school and scholarship applications, final exams and final papers, thesis submissions, and the holidays: travel, shopping, dinners, parties, and on it goes. It’s so easy to forget you and not put yourself first. It’s so easy to slide into performing for others and obsessing over meeting unfair standards and expectations at this time of year. Please know you are not alone.

Last week, I found an incredible cartoon on Bright Side by Yao Xiao illustrating situations in which we apologize for simply being who we are and what you can say instead that’s more positive, constructive, and kind to you and your mental health. It moved me to tears. I highly recommend checking it out (and Yao Xiao‘s work) and hope it resonates with you and gives you a new way of understanding and communicating how important and beautiful you are.

I hope you have enjoyed my Mental Health Week and found some helpful reminders, thoughts, and resources. Let’s keep the #mentalhealth conversation going and create a better, healthier student experience for all of us.