Profile: VP Social

by ivy on March 23, 2010

in CSSS Elections 2010

The VP Social is responsible for organizing social events like barbeques, sports teams, parties, and most importantly the year-end boat cruise. The VPS needs to be passionate and driven so that they will arrange kick-ass events.

Candidates:

• Karen S. Lee (A* Party)
  • Luke Yin

Karen S. Lee (A* Party)

Karen Lee (2010)Online: Facebook

Endorsements

Kevin Moore (CSSS President ’09–’10)
Amy Kwok (CSSS President ’08–’09)
See also A* Party.

Platform

Hi everyone,

My name is Karen S. Lee and I am running to be your CSSS VP Social with The A* Party.

As an extroverted individual, I am known to be extremely sociable and friendly by many people in Computer Science. I am fun, dedicated, honest and reliable. I know how to have fun and I know how to ensure that you have fun too.

I am the best person for this position because I have extensive experience in both personal and professional event planning and organization. I have been planning and organizing events since 2001 and I am currently the Social Coordinator for the Naylorite Club and the RIM Co-op Student Group. I am confident that my diverse experience in event planning will make next year’s CSSS events more spectacular and successful than ever.

As your VP Social, I strive to organize a diverse variety of events for everybody. These are some of the events that will be organized:

• LAN parties
  • Board game nights
  • Movie nights
  • Beer gardens
  • Poker nights
  • Pub nights
  • Bowling nights
  • Sports teams
  • Lazer tag
  • Snowshoeing
  • Go-carting
  • Paintball
  • Rock climbing
  • and more!

If you like any of the events above, vote Karen S. Lee as your VP Social!

Commentary

Ivy: Karen is truly passionate about getting students to participate and have fun. With her vision and creativity I think she’d make a great VP Social.

Wendy: Karen’s write-up is teeming with exciting ideas, and she unquestionably possesses both a sharp mind and a smooth charisma. She is a friendly, enthusiastic and energetic individual, as one will gather from meeting her. One concern arises: she has also been successfully elected as the AMS SUS representative. However, as a responsible individual, she has already planned her course load so as to maintain a tenable balance between all of her foreseeable commitments. Although Karen will definitely have a busy year ahead of her if elected, she exudes the confidence and competence needed to succeed in this position.

Luke Yin

luke2010Online: Facebook

Endorsements

None AFAIK.

Platform

Hi. My name is Luke Yin and I’m currently a 2nd-year computer science student. Over the past year, I’ve been one of your Social Coordinators—that means I’ve helped organize those awesome events YOU’VE enjoyed. You won’t regret voting for me to be your VP Social because:

1. I have extensive experience with organizing CSSS events. As part of the Social Committee, I’ve helped plan and organize movie nights, laser tag, and all the others YOU’VE attended.
  2. I have been attending CSSS events since I first came to UBC, so I know what makes an event AMAZING 🙂
  3. I came to ALL the events organized by the Social Committee this year. A host who’s confident about his or her event shows up, and if the host doesn’t think it’ll go well, why would anyone else?
  4. I’ve attended all the CSSS meetings this year to help plan events, making contributions towards EACH AND EVERY ONE of the events YOU came to 🙂

My personality:

1. I like to have fun, and to make things enjoyable for other people 🙂
  2. I’m dedicated, enthusiastic, and optimistic 😀

Over the past year, I’ve dedicated myself towards planning awesome events for YOU. I know exactly what the VP Social has to do. Vote for me, and I promise I won’t disappoint you… by making events EVEN MORE AWESOME!!! And if YOU wanna help plan things, guess what, I WON’T PUT A CAP ON THE COMMITTEE’S SIZE!!!

VOTE FOR ME!!!

Luke Yin

Commentary

Ivy: I worked with Luke on the Social Committee this year. He has mainly organized LAN parties. However I feel the emphasis on LAN parties would alienate non-gamer CS students like myself. I don’t agree with many of his other statements. In particular, Luke would like the Social Committee to be composed of anyone who wants to join, and from my experience as a Social Coordinator this year I feel that the Social Committee should have people who are passionate and dedicated, not just anyone who has a passing interest.

Wendy: It is hard to tell how much of this campaign blurb is targeted at a real audience; the referent of the repeated second-person pronoun is, at times, uncertain and possibly an endangered species. I also doubt that attending events alone will impart the ability to organise “AWESOME” events, much as using an operating system does not make someone a superb UI designer (let alone a software engineer). Furthermore, it seems completely unexceptional for an event organiser to attend his own event… in order to run it. Meanwhile, the proposal to have a Social Committee of unrestricted size demonstrates an unfamiliarity with the concept of social loafing, as well as a disregard for the difficulties caused by this year’s abnormally large Social Committee.

{ 0 comments… add one now }