Profile: Treasurer

by ivy on March 25, 2010

in CSSS Elections 2010

The Treasurer has one mandate: making sure the Cube has enough money to throw awesome events. They’re responsible for balancing the sheets, preparing budgets for the AMS/SUS/AUS, and making sure no Cube committee spends too much money. They’re also responsible for the sale of Cube merchandise like the hoodies. And finally, they’re the go-to person if any officer needs help communicating with the AMS.

This position requires someone who has a keen financial mind and an obsessive eye for detail. As Cube committees will often ask monetary questions at the last minute, the Treasurer needs to be constantly on-the-ball. Being able to promptly answer such pressing questions as, “How much have we spent so far?”, “How much do we have left in our accounts?”, and “How much can we afford to spend on this event?” is a sign of a Treasurer doing his/her job well.

Candidates:

• Benjamin Israel
  • Bobby Kim ^_^
  • Melissa Smith (A* Party)

Benjamin Israel

Benjamin Isreal (2010)Online: Facebook

Endorsements

None AFAIK.

Platform

Hello CompSci students!

My name is Benj, and I’m running to be your VP Finance/Treasurer for the upcoming year.

This past year, I was the VP Internal for Science One Survivors, and gained quite a bit of experience on how to be an effective executive. As a Comp Sci TA, I have interacted with many students, and I plan on using what I have learned to ensure that the Executive is indeed following the wishes of you, the voters.

I am also the Comp Sci Squad Leader for this upcoming Imagine Day, and I plan on making use of this to better integrate the new students into the CSSS and all of its wonderful activities.

I believe that a good VP Finance must be prompt, organized, and accountable, and in my role of VP Internal I have shown myself to be all three. With these skills, I plan on ensuring the CSSS runs smoothly, and sticks to an effective budget.

I look forward to serving you all, and making next year the best it can possibly be! I welcome any suggestions or comments on my platform or anything else, please feel free to contact me at bisrael (at) cs (dot) ubc (dot) ca.

Commentary

Wendy: While Benj’s write-up offers reasons as to why he would be good at communicating with students, I don’t see how this relates specifically to the role he is applying for. The write-up also names three important traits of a Treasurer—“prompt, organized, and accountable”—but offers no other examples of experience explicitly applicable to the role. Three out of these six paragraphs read like an application for the position of VP Social rather than Treasurer.

Ivy: Benjamin has a decent platform. He’s somewhat infamous around the SUS office, which is not particularly reassuring.

Bobby Kim ^_^

Bobby Kim ^_^ (2010)Online: Facebook, Website

Endorsements

None AFAIK.

Platform

My name is Bobby Kim ^_^ and I want to be YOUR next CSSS Treasurer! Although I come from a disadvantaged background, I have made the most of it and climbed to the top and I can do the same for the CUBE! With a close eye to detail I will KILL misspending and IMPROVE the greater good! I am currently FoodSafe Representative, Office Manager, Publications Officer, Social Coordinator, Assistant Treasurer, Assistant Secretary, and Presidential Advisor, so you BETTER vote for me!

Commentary

Wendy: Although Bobby Kim ^_^ has done a terrific job (or, more accurately, terrific jobs) for the Cube this year, I take issue with his logic. Exercising a cumulative part-time monopoly over seven positions (three of them ad-hoc titles) speaks strongly of his ambition, but nothing necessarily of his efficacy in said positions, never mind his suitability for the position of Treasurer. Nevertheless, his passion is…admirable, and his inhumation techniques…unsettling.

Melissa Smith (A* Party)

Melissa Smith (2010)Online: Facebook

Endorsements

See A* Party.

Platform

My name is Melissa Smith and I am running to be your CSSS Treasurer with The A* Party.

I became more involved in the CSSS this year and immediately found a desire to support the society in their endeavors.

As an individual that holds utmost priority in integrity, honesty and perfection, I aim to ensure that the finances of the CSSS remain balanced and accurate. I have extensive professional experience in working with finances, along with experience determining workable priorities based on a set budget plan. I am the best candidate for CSSS Treasurer because I understand the importance of documentation and logging, I value structure and organization, and I take pride in my work.

I can guarantee to uphold the structure and security required in an effective treasury system. If you favor this guarantee, vote Melissa as your CSSS Treasurer!

Commentary

Ivy: Melissa is a responsible person who has become more involved in the Cube recently. Her professional experience in budgeting likely gives her a good background for the position of Treasurer.

Wendy: Stylistically, this is a standard write-up, albeit one conspicuously free from vague buzzwords (which is a pleasant surprise). The mention of professional experience is what grabs my attention, as that is something which neither of the other two candidates seem to have. Melissa is also the only one to mention specific practices (“documentation and logging”), which I find more compelling than the popular equivalent, “accountability” (an unreassuringly nebulous term).

{ 0 comments… add one now }