About Me

Office Hours: By appointment

E-mail: steve.mcginley@ubc.ca

Hello Folks!

I am a full time Lecturer in the Department of Curriculum and Pedagogy at The University of British Columbia (UBC), Vancouver, Canada. I am also the Physical and Health Teacher Education Coordinator at the undergrad level. I was the PHE Department Head and Assistant Athletic Director at a secondary school in the Catholic Independent Schools of Vancouver Archdiocese in Port Coquitlam where he taught: all levels of PHE, PHE Leadership 11 and 12, and various other subjects including Social Studies, Planning and Learning Resource Center. Steve has an extensive resume of coaching a plethora of sports at various competitive levels and enjoys coaching his children today.

Currently, I am the instructor in the secondary physical and health education methods course, a number of the elementary physical and health education methods courses and the teacher inquiry I and teacher inquiry II courses in the teacher education program at UBC. In addition, I am a faculty advisor, providing support for teacher candidates in secondary schools across the Greater Vancouver area.

In June of 2014, I completed the UBC Masters of Physical Education – Teaching Games for Understanding Cohort.  My final Capstone focus: Enacting curricular and pedagogical changes in physical education.  My passions lie in engaging all learners and creating and sustaining conditions for professional collaboration. I am a firm believer that when we open ourselves up to listen, share and collaborate, best practices emerge.

Furthermore, I am passionate and an advocate for quality Physical and Health Education, an activator of the Physical Literacy movement. I have taken on a number of physical literacy projects including a national focus group with teachers on the 60 Minute Kids Club Challenge and more recently, building Physical Literacy capacity within schools, recreation and health sectors.