Flight Path

Where I have been…

I love the idea of a flight path!  I see myself on a journey and this course allows me the time to tinker and the tools to add to my knowledge base.  I started teaching Drafting and Information & Communication Technology in 2003 and I love to learn new things.  With my students I would plan and experiment with new ideas that we could bring into the classroom.  During the past three years I have had two babies and technology has taken off and I am thrilled to be in this course to play catch-up.  Since returning to work I have been teaching Home Ec. and I would love to use technology in the classroom as well. 

Where I want to go…

In previous MET courses I have used both Elluminate and Moodle as a user.  I am impressed with both and I would love to experiment with the platforms from the creator side. 

The 2008 NETS for teachers suggests that teachers “provide students with multiple and varied formative and summative assessments aligned with content and technology standards and use resulting data to inform learning and teaching” as well, Chickering and Gamson suggest that one of the “good practice’s of technology” is that it “gives prompt feedback”.   In terms of feedback and assessment, I believe that it is important for students and I feel that I do provide ample feedback, but I do not currenly use technology to assist me with this.  During this course, I would like to see methods/technologies that others are using to enhance assessment.

Chickering and Gamson also suggest that technology can be used to foster communication between students and teachers.  I would like to experiment with both synchronous and asynchronous methods of creating communications channels with students and perhaps parents.

Lastly, I love this opportunity to see what others are doing and take what I can and incorporate it into my teaching to make lessons exciting and enriching for me and my students.

And we’re off…

Sarah

Chickering, A.W. & Ehrmann, S.C. (1996).  Implementing the Seven Principles: Technology as Lever. American Association for Higher Education Bulletin”(2), 3-6.
http://www.aahea.org/bulletins/articles/sevenprinciples.htm

National Educational Technology Standards for Teachers
http://www.iste.org/Content/NavigationMenu/NETS/ForTeachers/2008Standards

Leave a response

Your response: