Assessment Tools

My quiz is up and running!  I used Cole & Foster’s “Using Moode: Teaching with the Popular Open Source Course Management System” as a reference and found the quiz easy to set up.  I created the quiz for my Foods 9 class and chose to do the final exam.  I initially set up the quiz to be open for a 1-hour period that the class would all write together, but I have since changed it so that MET students/instructors can explore the quiz. 

I enjoyed the process of creating the quiz and I believe that the students would find the online version easy to navigate and complete.  There are a number of advantages to the Moodle quiz:

• 1. I can shuffle the questions to avoid students ‘looking’ at other students papers/screens.
  • 2. The questions are marked right away and students are able to see the feedback instantly. I was able to program feedback for questions that students got both correct and incorrect which is great as it helps reinforce the information that I deem important.
  • 3. I also added images to help reinforce the question and for visual interest. In future, I could also add charts or other information.
  • 4. I initially set up the quiz to be open for a 1-hour period that the class would all write together, but I have since changed it so that MET students/instructors can explore the quiz.
  • 5. I also set up the quiz so each student would have one attempt to help avoid cheating.

Although I found the quiz easy to set up I did have some issues:

• 1. I did not like how Moodle set up the short answer. I found the questions too hard to write as the answer had to be specific. In the future, I would not include this type of questions. I did try one numeric question and that worked well.
  • 2. I did not like or use the penalty factor. For a Foods 9 class, it does not support my Constructivist framework. I initially did not realize that I had included a penalty and I had to go back and fix it.

The “preview” function in Moodle was a fantastic tool that allowed me to view the quiz as a “user” more than I do when looking at my own paper copy.  I was able re-evaluate my quiz and re-work some existing questions.  I believe that my finished product is now clearer and asked more appropriate questions.  As well, the immediate feedback function will allow students to know where their errors have occurred and what information they need to review.  I provided a post-exam feedback to students outlining my expectations for them.  Overall, the Moodle quiz tool is a great tool that I look forward to using next term.

Sarah’s Moodle site: http://moodle.met.ubc.ca/course/view.php?id=74

Leave a response

Your response: