Youth and Activism

April Kuramoto

“To me, activism starts inside. So it really could just be something like the process of decolonizing one’s self and changing our thoughts and our world views. I don’t think activism has to be really visible or blatant external activities, but I do believe that from that internal growth it often—Our own personal activisms do often begin to externalise and call us to participate in communities, whether it be online, signing petitions, forums, or even just speaking out against racists comments on social media. I think that people can grow their activisms in virtual ways, particularly, there could be a lot of reasons for that, as well as participating in person in communities where possible, which has been interesting this year with [COVID-19].”

April Kuramoto is a mother, daughter, partner, academic, and activist living on the traditional and unceded territory of the Snuneymuxw First Nation peoples. Her voice in the context of Youth and Activism in 2020 is vital as she and her daughter, Luna, navigate the tricky roads of a pandemic and strong values.

April is interviewed by Leah Vanderweide.